Led Headlight Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dave Teece, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Has anyone tried the LED replacement units. Moving on to a 2009 STriple and looking for better lighting, I've become accustom to the Xenon kit I fitted to my current TT600. Found these on the bay and was looking for advice or alternatives. The Xenon kits will look fugly as there is no fairing to hide ballast resistors and wiring.
    http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...tegory=178022&pm=1&ds=0&t=1560163795000&ver=0

Cheers, Dave.

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If it is the round headlights which I think it is
    The Wisamic units on Amazon are fantastic
    I have them in my Speed Triple 2010
    Very bright, less wattage
    Should be less than £50 for each unit

3. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    IMG_20190428_131554.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Yep, round lamps. Thanks I'll have a look.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Cheers Red Thunder, new lamps should be with me today. Can't wait to get the bloody bike now.

9. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Err Red....did you have to remove the pressed steel plate when you fitted the lamps? Just checked the image you shared and they are orientated the same way, just seemed with the plate in they wouldn't fit inside the clamp ring. Just enough room behind the lamp to fit the connection because the heat sink is so large too.

10. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Err Red....did you have to remove the pressed steel plate when you fitted the lamps? Just checked the image you shared and they are orientated the same way, just seemed with the plate in they wouldn't fit inside the clamp ring. Just enough room behind the lamp to fit the connection because the heat sink is so large too.

11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Nope, didn't remove that
    The lamps had a notch which aligned with a gap in the plate

12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Did you get them in okay or still having issues?

13. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    I've got them fitted without the plate and the lamp unit is held securely by the clamp ring so no issues from that point of view. Just need to lower them a bit but they're pretty cool looking at the reflection in other vehicles. Cheers for the heads up on them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Glad you have them in okay
    I would have reservations about not having the plate in but if you are happy they are secure and angled correct then I am glad it is working for you
    If the fitting is the same as the Speed Triple , adjusting the height angle should be a matter of loosening a bolt under the lights, lower the beam and then tighten up again

Pictures would be nice :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Will sort out some snaps with the new lamps in. Lamp adjustment is pretty straightforward, centre clamp for horizontal and individual clamps for vertical. Cheers again for your feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    New lamps and fly screen.
    DSC_0130.JPG DSC_0129.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  17. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Oh, me likey very much
    Those look fantastic, I think you would also appreciate the enhanced brightness during the coming winter nights

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    Any ideas on speedmaster

19. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Cap, I guess the critical thing is the diameter of the lamp casing. The Speed and Street both have the same size shell at 5 3/4 inches. If that is the same and the connector is three leg, in a 'U' configuration then you should be good. There may be different sizes out there. You will lose the parking light though as these LED units have no connection for it.

20. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Just a heads-up - normally the park light socket and lamp are no longer used with these assemblies - but note if the socket for the wedge-bulb 'park' lights are not populated with a bulb then the prongs inside the socket tend to short together and blow the running light fuse - you may not immediately notice this as something you would be aware of when riding.
    This is an EXTREMELY common issue with Rockets, where the same lamps are used as the S3's.
    So - ideally you cut the wire to the socket (or something less permanent if you want to reverse it at some point) rather than just removing the bulb and tucking the socket inside the bucket

• Thanks Thanks x 1