LED Headlight conversions ?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Bonnyblack, Jan 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bonnyblack

Bonnyblack Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Felpham
    I don't know if this has been asked before but has anyone had any experience with LED headlight installing on a Bonneville T100 2015 865cc 7in light unit, with regard to light quality, beam pattern better/worse etc and being road legal with regard to beam pattern?
    I had a mishap with mine the other day in my garage and melted the lens (had open heart surgery end of Nov last year and cant ride at the moment so wanted to run bike up for a few minutes but didn't fully uncover it and when done found the lamp had melted!) A new lens unit from Triumph is about £165 and I was never very impressed with the beam pattern anyway! so wondered if LED may be the way forward or failing that demon tweeks do a replacement lens for about £14 then could maybe put an LED bulb into it? any suggestions people?

2. Bonnie lad

Bonnie lad New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Milton Keynes
  3. Bonnyblack

Bonnyblack Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Felpham
    Hi Bonnie lad thanks for that, I am tempted to go for one of the led headlight unit's or perhaps a cibie lamp unit and fit a decent led bulb if the lamp gives a good pattern to start with? I am more annoyed at myself for damaging mine in the first place since it was only replaced last October under warranty due to the reflector chroming failing :(

4. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Did anyone get anywhere with the LED conversions, more interested in a better night vision than anything as the std is bollox?

5. Bonnyblack

Bonnyblack Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Felpham
    Hi Carleton, I bought a Cibie headlight unit from demon tweaks in the end as I was unsure of both the quality and the light pattern from the Chinese lamps? (I still wanted to have the kick up of light to the kerbside) and it seems a lot of the lamps say that they are suitable for use with left and right hand drive ie a flat dip cutoff even some of the ordinary light units! So anyway I have fitted the cibie lamp but have yet to try it out as not able to ride the bike at the moment due to recent heart surgery, but if it looks OK as a beam pattern goes then I may try a led bulb providing it produces the correct dip pattern to make it brighter! ;):):) people like these on here!

• Like Like x 1
  6. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
  7. Bonnyblack

Bonnyblack Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Felpham
    Yes that's the one, I emailed them and as you say they were a bit (well it might fit ?) but I ordered one anyway and took my lamp apart, now the three locating lugs on the triumph lamp are very shallow / short and the lugs on the cibie lamp are longer and stepped - the first part fits the triumph lamp housing but the wider part stops it going all the way down which makes it a tight fit to get it back together (the screws that hold the lamp assembly together only just reach) and you will need a 233 sidelight bulb (the cibie lamp comes with a new sidelight holder to take an older style bulb) and will need to do a small rewire to fit the sidelight holder to the bonneville wiring but that's about it! PS make sure you order the lamp unit WITH a sidelight. :)

8. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
    Great, will likely give it a shot at some point, ironically it might need to wait till the nights are a little shorter as I don't have a garage so need warmish evenings to work on the bike on the street. Sounds a little more faff than I hoped but nothing too challenging so I will give it a bash. Thanks for the tips

9. Bonnyblack

Bonnyblack Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Felpham
    Most of the work you can do indoors as all you need to do is take the headlight out which is two screws and unplug the h/l and sidelight connector as altering the wiring can be done indoors too as the sidelight has a short connection lead to the main loom, :)

• Like Like x 1