Leaky Valves

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Rev Steve, Aug 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rev Steve

Rev Steve New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Oxford
    I'm just about to take my wife on a road trip to Wales - short trip about 250 miles from where I live. I inflated tyres to 31psi front 34 back on my Triumph America. 2 days later I have discovered a leaky valve - lost 4 psi in two days.

I'm a little worried about taking the love of my life on the back if I have a leaky valve - what do you think comrades. Is it safe? I don't have time to get new valves fitted - I'm leaving in 3 hours!!

Anyone out there to offer advice - fast!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rev Steve.
    Just keep the air topped up. When you say valve do you mean the actual valve or the valve inner. If it is just the inner any garage will give you a new one and just screw it in and away you go. Also just try nipping the one in up a smidge. Do enjoy your trip.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rev Steve

Rev Steve New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Oxford
    thanks Joe - that's really helpful -

• Like Like x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rev Steve.
    That's what it's all about Brother. If I weren't going back to work in a few days I'd ride along with you. I do love Wales and the people are Fantastic.
    Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    The tube type tire on my old America was low on air every time I would go to take it out. It had been going on for some time but I did not find anything puncturing the tire. Then stupid me decides to take a tool and check the valve stem. It took a half turn to tighten it up ! It is a wonder it held air at all. DUH...You might have tried that a year ago genius :D ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Most tire shops may change out a Schrader valve for free, or give you one, I get the tool for free from vendors as they are also used on refrigerant systems for HVAC. Typically they last a very long time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1