Laughable Part Exchange Value

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Cupracing, Jun 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    I wasn’t planning on a new bike for a while as I still love my RS (despite it being slightly sick at the moment) however I decided to take the new bmw s1000rr for a spin and consequently loved it so I asked what sort of price they would offer for mine. Bear in mind it is only a year old, has only covered 1500 miles, is in practically new condition with manufacturers warranty left. I was offered, wait for it £6700! Suffice to say I walked out and I will be enjoying my RS for years to come. They obviously had no idea what bike it was or were trying it on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You lose so much value as soon as you take a new bike out of the showroom and dealers are always trying to maximise their profits on trade ins.
    Ultimately it’s your call on a new deal so you’ve got to shop around. With a year old bike I’d be more tempted to sell privately and do a deal on a new bike with cash.
    Unfortunately these days many of us are tied in with finance, and the dealers know this :confused:
    The S1000RR is in high demand too so they’re onto a winner anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I was offered £5,300 px on a 2016 Superduke 1290R SE at a Ducati dealer, I played £6,990 for my 2012 Speed R a year ago.
    Thought that was bad enough as shop I got it from said he would give me £6,000 on it for a px, but Triumph dealer in Essex came up with a price of only £4,500 px on a new Speed.

Sometimes I think its just a low ball offer because the don't rearly want to talk bikes in on px, so better to try to sell private and have more cash in hand to get a better deal.
    I does still amaze me how much people are prepared to loose on px deals to change their bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    On higher priced bikes, people dont want to buy privately, ( no comeback).
    Dealers know this and can be ruthless.
    This is why they are so offhand with everyone generally, they screw you both ends and cant face you in the cold light of day, ( metaphorically ).

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    yep, it costs them to pay in money, and banks charge for electronic payments too.
    They are laughing all the way to the bank! erm

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    yep, it costs them to pay in money, and banks charge for electronic payments too.
    They are laughing all the way to the bank! erm

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I asked what the discount was for cash, and, from the look I got, I thought he was going to charge me, more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The thing is whether you accept the deal as offered or not, it is of course your choice?
    I test rode a 765. Salesman said did you like that?
    I said yes, give me the right part exchange figures and I'll take it today.
    He offered me £3500 for my Honda.
    I said no.

He rang me a few times but I told him unless it was £4500 for the Honda then forget it.

Elsewhere I bought my 765 on a 68 (not an 18 as previous) with 1000 miles less and yes, I did get £4500 px.

Walk away if it doesnt suit it's a business deal at the end of the day.

Today I bought a wedding ring and haggled on the price despite the other half protesting. Left the shop with the ring and a £65 discount just for the asking.
    She stood outside in disbelief shaking her head, naturally with a big beaming smile across her face :joy:
    I just said "what did you expect?" :blush:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Mrs Freck... ?
    I think Freck might have something to say about that :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    We're not allowed to take in excess of £5,000 in cash due to banking regs re money laundering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Very good DD nice edit :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    With part exchanges bear in mind the dealer then has the price he paid for the bike on his books. Every day there is an opportunity cost he is bearing and you are not. A dealer has sales staff salaries to pay. He has to pay for the ads he puts in Autotrader, etc. And a dealer has to make a profit on selling used bikes - he isn't a charity. A trade-in is only worth what it's worth to a dealer not what you think you can get for it privately. Catch the right dealer who wants to shift the model you want to buy, or who needs to meet quarter-end or, even better, year-end manufacturer bonus targets then you might even get offered above book value.

At the end of the day, if the business model doesn't suit you then sell privately and use the cash to buy your next bike.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Nah, it’s fine, I don’t mind :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Depends on what you will give me in part ex though?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Unfortunately px deals always favour the dealer, dosen't matter whether it is a bike or a car or anything else. As has been said you have to review and make sure any deal works for you, if you don't like what is on offer walk away.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Cupracing.
    Seems he did you a favour there. Think your self lucky you still have the best bike.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    That's absolutely ridiculous and absurd, some of these lower paid workers depend on tips to make the situation pay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Shop around is the answer, that’s what I’ve found over the years and get the deal that suits you.
    I did last year with the new Tiger and watch for any hidden extras.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    This is something I always ask waiters in restaurants, whether or not they get the tip or it goes in a pot/to the restaurant.
    I’m of the mind that I want to reward the good service not bolster the restaurants profit margin.

• Agree Agree x 4