Featured Last Years Euro Trip

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Reggie, Mar 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    The plan for last years Euro trip was for me to do a solo bike run to the South of France to meet the family who were on a mini-break to Cannes. They managed the journey in around 3 hrs courtesy of EasyJet but I would take 6 days as I wanted to see a little bit of Switzerland and Italy on the way.

Shortly before departure day (22 June 2017) it became apparent that the new Triumph Tiger 800 I had ordered 3 months beforehand still wouldn't be ready for delivery so I would be doing this on my V-Strom instead.

Day 1 was (for us Scottish lads) the usual dreary slog down to the tunnel then another 30 miles into France for an overnight stop in Saint-Omer

IMG_3995.jpg

The only other bike on the train (a Triumph Sprint ST) unfortunately had to be pushed off by staff as it wouldn't start. Hope the poor fella got it going after I had to leave.

Day 2 was another mile muncher East towards the Vosges Mountains, I had a room booked here -

http://en.liondor.com

Day 3 it started to liven up. Fantastic run up and down the Route des Cretes towards the Swiss border and a stopover in Pontarlier.

Day 4 Switzerland and Italy with a night in the Hotel Arolla, Bourg Saint Maurice.

IMG_4017.jpg
    Lake Geneva

IMG_4029.jpg
    Col du Grand Saint-Bernard

IMG_4031.jpg
    Swiss/Italian border

Day 5 - BSM to Barcelonnette with a overnighter in a really nice place in the town square -

http://www.hotel-barcelonnette.fr/uk/

This was the 'big' Col day..... L'Iseran, Galibier, I'zoard and Vars........ fantastic :cool:

IMG_4060.jpg IMG_4057.jpg IMG_4061.jpg IMG_4086.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Onwards and now sticking roughly to -

IMG_4095.jpg

Day 6 Down to the Med

IMG_4108.jpg IMG_4121.jpg

After a couple of days off the bike it was time to u-turn and head home.

Decided I would do Route Napoleon (taking in the Gorge du Verdun) to Grenoble then autoroute home.

IMG_4164.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    Had to have a night in the Du Levant, Castellane though. My fav town in France

IMG_4177.jpg IMG_4183.jpg IMG_4191.jpg IMG_4216.jpg IMG_4220.jpg

Arrived at my hotel in Dijon and the phone rang......... "Mr Henderson it's Sarah from Edinburgh Triumph.... your Tiger is ready"

:eek:

19 hours and 854 miles later I was in the dealers carpark (thank you Sargent Seats) picking up the keys.

I'm doing it all again this year (leaving June 20), slightly different route but most definitely on my new Tiger :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Thanks.

650 ..... or a 'Glee' as it's commonly called on the V-Strom forum. Love that bike too, it wasn't a problem taking that to the SoF.

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Ditto! Beautiful pics!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Very nice, thanks for posting Reggie :sun:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Brilliant photos Gary,thanks for sharing and the trip looks amazing :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1