Featured Last Ride Of The Decade! Happy New Year 2020!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Jan 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Happy New Year--and New Decade--to all of you at The Triumph Forum. :grinning: It was a beautiful day to ride here in the Arizona Sonoran Desert. So we hopped on the bikes and rode to breakfast then continued on for a glorious ride through this desert that I love. I'm grateful for the past year and looking forward to the new one. Welcome 2020!
    IMG_7135.jpeg

What New Year's Resolutions have you all made? I have a couple that are specifically motorcycle-related. #1 is to ride more! #2 is live to ride--and ride to breakfast. At every opportunity! And that's just what Mr. Sandi and I did today. We rode to breakfast--well, it was brunch by the time we got there. Then we headed westand our first stop was Gates Pass. Then we continued on through Saguaro National Park and Picture Rocks Pass. And we topped it all off with a little detour to DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse for the uninitiated). Because nothing says "welcome!" to a new year like a new pair of hot shoes. ;):cool:

Brunch was at First Watch, a favorite of ours just down the street a couple of miles from our house. It's a great place to start off with breakfast when it's cold and a good idea to eat first to let the temp warm up a bit.
    12.31.19 First Watch.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 7.04.12 PM.png

My nod to the "hip" dish these days--avocado toast. It really is terrifically delicious, especially with two perfect over-medium eggs. Sorry, no bacon today. ;)
    IMG_7138.jpeg

When we were ready to gear back up and go riding, I checked my iPhone to see what the temp was. Hmmm, evidently the Tucson weather gods were a bit confused today. Was it 60ºF and partly cloudy? Or was it 35ºF and snowing? Fortunately it was the former. Kinda Twilight Zone-ish.
    IMG_7142.png

From First Watch we rode up to the top of Gates Pass, one of my very favorite places in all of Tucson. The first time I saw this area years ago I thought it looked more like a "cactus forest" than a desert! There's a parking area at the top so we stopped for some photos and to gaze out over the desert to the west and back towards town to the east. We met a nice couple from Florida who were visiting Tucson for the first time and they took a nice photo of Mr. Sandi and me.
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7158.jpeg
    IMG_7170.jpeg

Last stop--DSW! I so love Mr. Sandi. It was his idea to add in a little shoe shopping detour at the end of our ride.:kissing_heart: So we took the long way there from Gates Pass which is a beautiful route of about 40 miles or so and includes riding through Saguaro National Park West and over a beautiful pass called Picture Rocks. I did find a very cool pair of black stiletto heeled boots at DSW, BTW. ;)
    Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 7.20.47 PM.png

IMG_7173.jpeg

Happy New Year to all of you at The Triumph Forum. I hope that each of you has a special holiday and a terrific new year. Happy 2020! :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 25
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Last drive of the decade. Cause it's too cold for me to ride. Chrysler
    Crossfire uses all the running gear from the mbz 320slk. This afternoon I took it for run down some recommended twisty fun bike roads about 50 miles away. Had a great time even though it was only 45 f. outside. These are all rural two lane highway paved roads thru farmland, and since harvest is long over, with debris and farm machinery is absent now, only seen about a dozen other cars in about 100 miles. Lots of posted 25-45 mph corners of all sorts of camber and radius changes. Had an awesome time, and the crossfire handled as if on rails even with mediocre tires which will be replaced soon. Most of the afternoon was spent running at 80-90 mph. Hit 130 on a clear stretch of road, and it was still accelerating well. Only one butt pucker moment, but car tracked great. Whoo rahs and yeah babies flowed. I love this "wolf in sheep's clothing" car with great usable powerband.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Nice ride and write up Sandi.
    I enjoy looking at all the pix posted for local dress and styling, like the Tuscan Harley sweatshirt, but was intrigued by the guys arm serving???

31F00C94-B05E-42F1-B4F0-912045A56E19.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Brilliant. Inspirational despite our damp & grey weather outlook here. Happy New Year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Happy New Year Sandi, As always your pic's bring back so many happy times and I recognise all the places, I would have had to have had bacon with my breakfast food of the gods :yum Thanks for sharing these pics and both of you ride safely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Happy New Year Sandi, so jealous of that climate that allows year round riding without dressing up & looking like the Michelin Man (some look like that without winter gear on! ;)). Great pictures & write up again, thanks :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Lovely post (and I'm jealous, over here in the damp and grey UK). Happy New Year, Sandi.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Another fab write up and pics Sandi, thanks for sharing them, a Happy New Year to all on this great forum from not so sunny Dorsetshire :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Happy new year Sandi :party:
    Good write up and cool pictures :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Dartplayer! It was a terrific day all around. I hope you had a good New Year's Eve and are enjoying New Year's Day too.

I took that particular photo as a panned shot so that I'm sure he moved his arm at the moment I panned across him. I try to take that type of pic when there's little movement going on in the frame. You are very observant! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Happy New Year to you, too, Don! Glad my photos bring back those happy Tucson memories. Mr. Sandi and I really should have opted to add bacon to our meals. First Watch has terrific bacon that they call "Million Dollar Bacon". Actually, it's only a few dollars but it tastes like a million bucks! They even have a sandwich board outside the restaurant that's bacon-related. :):yum

IMG_7147.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Billy! Glad you enjoyed the photos and write-up. And aHappy New Year to you, too! If I could bottle up our Tucson weather and send you some I certainly would. Hope you're warm(ish) and dry today. I did sort of feel like the Michelin Man--had on long johns and multiple layers under my motorcycle jacket. But we did strip off a couple of layers at the top of Gates and the rest of the ride was nigh unto perfect. Not a breath of wind even!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Thanks for the great write-up and the pics, Sandi.

I remember flying a little Cessna from Las Cruces via Tucson to Prescott in 1991. The turbulence was so bad, I had the power cut and the yoke all the way forward and the darn thing was still climbing. It felt like riding a bull.

Anyway. Even though I know it, there‘s something very reassuring about the thought that there are people out there having had a good year and looking forward to the next...
    Mine was the crappiest of my life (no other words possible) and I just hope that 2020 will be a trifle better!

Enjoy the beautifully soothing winter-sun in Arizona and have a great riding-season 2020!

Cheers, Daniel

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T & Steve.
    What a wonderful way to wake up and get the computer on and finding a terrific write up from our favourite author. You really made my day. I loved the write up. I thought you were not supposed to tell your wishes maybe I am wrong but I did think that was the tradition. Any way I got one for you. What kind of Motorbike does Santa ride. Got this in my Christmas cracker today. See thought of you and Steve straight away.
    Happy New Year.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Happy new year and decade to you two, too! Nice to see the Southern Arizona sun, albeit in pictures rather than real time!

Look forward to the next ride report and more picturess of the Speed in the sun!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Daniel / Winglad, I am so sorry to read the your last year was the crappiest of your life and I truly hope that 2020 will be not only a trifle better but a lot better for you. :kissing_heart:

Cool that you flew a Cessna from Las Cruces to Tucson back in '91. Did you stop in Prescott? We like that town and have taken to stopping there overnight when we ride to Las Vegas in October for Bike Fest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the new year and decade wishes Adie! I'm happy to send photos of the Speedy in the Arizona sunshine...especially when the sunshine isn't in 110ºF temps. ;) I'll keep the ride reports coming. Happy New Year and New Decade!

18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #18 Sandi T, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Thanks, Joe! I'm always happy to share Steve's and my adventures with my forum friends. I haven't shared my other New Year's resolutions with anyone, including Mr. Sandi (Steve). ;) I figured that my two moto-related resolutions were pretty obvious--ride more and ride to breakfast. :D No big secret there. I don't think I know any motorcyclists that don't want to ride more or ride to breakfast! :joy: Hmm, what kind of motorbike does Santa ride??? I'll eagerly await the answer that was in your Christmas cracker today. :)

19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Bikerman! I'll keep the reports coming as long as you guys continue to enjoy them. :) Best wishes for a terrific 2020 to you, your bikes, and those you love. :heart:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I found this YouTube video that someone took while driving the Gates Pass Road part of our route on our New Year's Eve day ride. The photos of Mr. Sandi and me were taken at the top of this pass in the parking lot/visitor area. The video has no sound unfortunately, but it does give you a great feel for what the road is like---very twisty, steep, and gorgeous. And some big drop-offs with no guard rails. :scream: I've ridden this road literally hundreds of times on my bicycle and motorcycles. :grinning: Enjoy the "ride"!

P.S. I definitely enjoy riding this road more on a motorcycle than a bicycle these days!

• Like Like x 4