Lambda Sensor With Oil/leakage Oil?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by escala, Dec 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. escala

escala New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    united kingdom
    Hi everyone.
    i am new in this forum and i just bought speed triple 2010 john bloor edition
    i am really worried because i have seen oil around lambda sensor and i notice of that because smoke comes out from the this sensor lambda
    the sensor lambda i am talking about is next to the oil filter (exhaust)
    please could you tell me if do i have to be concerned about it?
    where this oil comes from?
    many thanks in advance
    best regards.

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum, Escala.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2 (1).gif

f1b865bbbb6d7ba63d7ec2396b43d1c3.gif

3. escala

escala New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    united kingdom
    Hi David
    many thanks
    much appreciate it

4. escala

escala New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    united kingdom
    here is the place what i am talking about in the picture attached there is a hole ,in this hole is connected sensor lambda and this is very close to oil filter.
    here you can see the picture
    motobike is 2010 year speed triple
    many thanks in advance
    any advise?

s-l1600.jpg

5. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Extremely unlikely to have oil escaping from O2 sensor. Suspect there is either an oil leak or oil sweat from somewhere above the sensor / exhaust. Clean area with engine or brake cleaner, take some silver / kitchen foil & place above senor / exhaust, this will collect oil from offending area with engine running. Hopefully this will help you to get to the bottom of the culprit. Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Not entirely sure if I get what your trying to say.
    But I'm guessing you have an oil leak, which is hitting the exhaust near the sensor. This is then giving the impression that the sensor is smoking. There is nothing that could make the sensor smoke (except the oil)
    First thing I would try is, if you think the filter is leaking is try giving it a little tighten, or change it.

7. escala

escala New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    united kingdom
    Many thanks guys
    I will try to keep on eye in oil filter

8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hello I’ve just changed the oil on my speed triple and when I unscrewed the oil filter some oil got onto the exhaust in that area near the lambda sensor. It smelt a bit of oily smoke when I started it despite me cleaning it as well as I could. If your bike has recently had an oil change it could be that the oil filter has not seated properly or hasn’t been tightened to the correct torque, I believe it’s only 10nm, so not a lot.
    Give the area a good clean with some degreaser and check for leaks with the engine running.

• Like Like x 1
  9. escala

escala New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    united kingdom
    Hi i think is for this reason,because in this area is not usual the engine leaks
    Many thanks for your response
    It helps me a lot

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Is it definitely oil?
    Hard to diagnose over the internet but....
    One of the results of burning hydrocarbons (petrol) is water. Water mixed in with carbon creates a black liquid; could this be what you are seeing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. escala

escala New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    united kingdom

Hi thanks for asking
    yes i am sure it is oil the colour and the smell.
    i am not sure how is the motorbike underneath of this model but is strange to loss oil from this place,unless it's coming from oil filter......
    but i am guessing that because the motorbike now is in the garage and i can not see it right now.
    if you could have a look to your motorbike underneath and tell me if is possible that the engine loses oil from here ,please let me know,i think there are no seals in this part.....
    many thanks guys,i am worried about this matter....

12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Basically there are two places the oil can leak from, one is the sump drain plug and the other is the oil filter, both easily seen if you get down and look under the engine. That’s the good news. The bad news is oil can also leak from a cracked sump or a leaking sump gasket and you really don’t want that as it’s not a straight forward fix. Give the area a good clean and start the engine noting where the oil is coming from and repair accordingly.