Touring Lake Garda

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Holly2506, Dec 3, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Holly2506

Holly2506 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Newport, South Wales
    Hi all, currently planning an italy trip to lake garda in July. Gonna spend 1 night in france and 2 in switzerland on route.. Any ideas for routes or previous experience of things to see would be very helpful

Cheers Shane :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo H, that's on my to do list also, never been that way, it's been France Portugal Belgium Spain etc. Hence no suggestions, but let us all know as yer plans develop :upyeah:

3. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Hi Shane, I'm planning on doing a similar run to Italy via the Simplon Pass. I've got myself a load of road maps and guide books to sort out the route. My main plan is early train to Calais, then a ride to Dijon where I will overnight. Following day onto Brig in Switzerland which is at the base of the Simplon Pass. Intend to spend a few days there before heading over the pass into Italy. Then I'm going to head for the lakes for a few days before heading back into Austria, Germany and Luxemberg before I return home.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That's sounds a good adventure pjt!

• Like Like x 1
  5. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Yes Tigcraft. I intend to be away for three weeks. I will be going on an Explorer XC which I will be buying early in the new year.

6. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Dont forget the breathalysers and flourescent jacket in France and be warned they have average speed cameras/timing on tollroads.

Get bike fit before you go or after a long run you will be shot at the next day.

Geneva is awesome to visit, Jungfrau and up the Eiger? not to mention Stelvio Pass if you get the chance. If you are after culture Verona has an Opera festival every year, its world class, Milan and Venice are nearby.

A boat trip along the Lake with plenty of places to visit and chill out at

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just to add a bit about the French Law regarding breathalysers and flourescent jackets. This has changed recently - this from the AA:

Several changes have been made to motoring laws in France in support of the International Decade on Road Safety though two new laws have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely

January 2013 - Drivers in France have been required to carry a self-test breathalyser since July 2012 with enforcement by fines originally planned for 1 November but subsequently postponed to 1 March 2013. Now the French government has announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

Motorcycle riders were to be required to wear reflective clothing in France from 1 January 2013 but the French law making reflective equipment compulsory for motorcycle riders and passengers has been abolished.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Holly2506

Holly2506 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Newport, South Wales
    yes the laws differ from country to country with the french being the worst but all i can see is bulbs, High Vis on helmet and all paperwork..
    Ive been looking at St Gothards pass....seems like switzerland got so much to offer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    There are some brilliant mountain passes. However many are closed for the winter and sometimes late spring.

10. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I've just been talking to my daughter about next years trip. She has suggested some alternative routes to reach Switzerland. mainly through the Ardennes, Luxemburg and Southern Germany. Something to be seriously considered.

11. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    We're heading in that direction next year.
    Hoping to to do the Vosges and Doubs areas and might pop into Switzerland as well.

12. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Going to search out maps for the Ardennes and Luxemburg.

13. Holly2506

Holly2506 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Newport, South Wales
    Channel Tunnel is booked 26/7/14.
    Bought panniers, tank bag, rucksac, and fly screen.
    The next 7 months are going to drag...

Happy New Year Everyone!!!:upyeah:

14. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #14 folkbloke, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Not quite Col. They do have a lot of speed cameras it's true but it's a myth about being timed between tolls. The companies that run the toll routes have been asked if they'll supply details of times but have so far refused. I also understand that unless the Police actually catch you speeding they can't prosecute. As yet we aren't swapping traffic offence info across the EU so being caught by a fixed speed camera should not be an issue (although I've always been convinced I'm going to arrive at Calais and be fined for speeding....)

What normally gets folks caught at toll booths is excessive speed approaching them. They will do you for that and it's what gives rise to people thinking they must have been timed from the last toll booth. In reality over a longish distance most of us on bikes will have had to stop at least once for fuel anyway negating any timing clocks!

You need to be very careful about Police mobile speed cameras though. There are more of them than ever on the autoroutes and the ordinary roads. French drivers will often flash you to warn of a speed trap ahead. A favourite spot is anywhere within 50 miles of Calais picking off those speeding back to catch their ferry.

I ride to Switzerland every year to see my daughter and stay at this place on the way down. About 5-6 hours from Calais, decent food, an owner who likes to practice his English and it sets you up nicely for some decent roads over to Switzerland after a day on the French motorways.

I can't give any advice on a route to Lake Garda as my only trip to Italy was to Florence and I took the west coast route for that.

If you haven't worked out where you're staying in Switzerland then I can recommend Bern. A very pleasant town.

I'd suggest a Swiss motorway vignette as well. You might not be intending to use the motorways through Switzerland but if you end up on one and get caught it's a fairly heavy fine. Remember that the Swiss, for reasons best known to themselves, use GREEN for motorway signs whereas most other countries use BLUE. It's very easy coming out of somewhere like Neuchatel (where you won't have hit the motorway if you've come from Pontarlier) and ending up on a motorway thinking it's a normal road. Also Swiss roads can be bloody awful. Poorly maintained and very heavy traffic and sometimes you're better off on the motorway.

Oh, and another thing... (sorry) smaller petrol stations in Switzerland (and even some of the larger ones) often don't have a payment booth. You have to find the pay machine, put your card/pin in, select the pump and type of fuel you're going to use and then fuel up. This is different to France where you can actually pay at the pump.

Bon voyage :smile:

And a final edit.... my apologies if I'm venturing into a grannies and eggs syndrome :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jonester

Jonester New Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Horsham West Sussex
    My Bonneville and I went to Italy via France, Belgium (the Ardennes) Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy as part of a nine country European tour in 2013 to celebrate my 60th birthday.
    I stayed clear of the motorways and enjoyed the scenery instead of the HGV,s.
    Give it some thought, the riding / roads are excellent and the landscape STUNNING!!!
    Jonester

• Like Like x 1
  16. Holly2506

Holly2506 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Newport, South Wales
    Just spent the day fitting accessories for the ride to ensure all is ok. Ive added a fly screen, Bagster tank bag and SW Motech Blaze panniers..Thanks everyone for the help and advice in planning...

Triumph.jpg

All ready to rock :upyeah:

Triumph.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Holly2506

Holly2506 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Newport, South Wales
    #17 Holly2506, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    You think i was going tomorrow!!!

18. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Nothing like a bit of practice packing to get you in the mood :upyeah:

19. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Now that looks like a well packed bike. Now you need a few trips out to get used to all those bags.:wink:

20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Years ago I went up the Mosel Valley just north of Luxembourg. Did it on a bike then again by car. Drove miles out of my way to do it the 2nd time. Great road following the river, Its got some stunning towns up it, noteably Bernkastel. from there you have many routes to get to Switzerland.