Featured Knocking Noise Traced

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by speeder, Apr 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Had a strange knocking noise most noticeable when manoeuvring the bike in and out of the garage. It definitely appeared to be coming from the gearbox sprocket area.
    Whipped the cover off to investigate, and sure enough sprocket nut loose.

This is not an assembly error from the factory, what actually happens is play develops in the sprocket spines as they are just a push fit on the shaft, as the drive goes on and off this gets worse and eventually the nut must loosen as even the tightest torqued nut cannot withstand the tremendous radial forces and in the end it all comes loose.

Moral: check and re-torque this nut regularly, preferably using an impact wrench.
    I decided not to use locktite as l wanted to avoid removal problems later on.
    My bike is a 2016 with 16000 miles on.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Don't you have a locking tab washer fitted?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, just wondering whether Speeder has his missing (+ considering using Loctite).
    I'm on my 4th Hinckley Triumph, covered over 100,000mls and never had a problem with nut coming loose or any play in splines, always used genuine Triumph front sprocket & tab washer but not always genuine on rear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Yes washer was there, not been disturbed from new.
    As l said ,the problem appears to start because play develops in the spines.
    If it happens again l will use locktite and tab washer and use heat to release it when l change the chain and sprockets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Google ‘fretting’ - it is why Jaguar splined hubs are assembled with thread lock.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Exactly right.....l had the same problem with my old MGB,once the spines wear it doesn't matter how much you tighten the nut the wheel will always come loose.

My current MGB has rostyles, wire wheels look great but they can also be trouble!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Did this to my cover a while back. Might have an advantage over looks alone.

A43AE094-1691-4AFB-9002-44F82C7212BD.jpeg

D0F01277-8FEC-4B8D-A11E-C37D68F724D5.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Speeder
    Yes the lock nut is essential but what I have done time and time again is when fitting I use silicon it locks and holds well till you want to take it of again.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4