Killswitch Problem??

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Nixter, Oct 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

I have a 2019 RS. Going home last night I stopped for fuel and turned the killswitch off. The engine stopped, but the display stayed on. It started back up fine and I went home. When I got there, the same happened, so I turned it off with the main shut off by the engine. I turned it back on and pressed the switch to fire it up and nothing. Came back to it later and tried it - it worked as normal 3 or 4 times.

This morning on the way to work all was good, until I got there and the kill switch wouldn't even stop the engine. I used the main to turn it off again and fingers crossed I get home.

I will have a look for obvious suspects this weekend - pinched wires etc. Anyone hear of any other like problems? Would much prefer to fix it this weekend rather than leave it at the dealer if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I've not heard of this problem, hope it's an easy fix but if I were you I'd take it back to your dealer buddy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nixer
    I say this over and over again the kill switch is an emergency kill button and not to be used all the time as a stop start button. It wears them out. Plus they sometimes get corrosion in there. So clean it all out. And beware of striping as they can fall to pieces and are the dampest things to put back together.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    The kill switch is the starter joe matey, it's a keyless bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    OK Rspete.
    You have it your way. But my way says it is an emergency cut of. And the key is the on and of button. Unfortunately I know nothing about Keyless haven't even seen one yet. So perhaps you are right in this case.
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    So this is confusing to us UK spec people, because we don't have the additional 'master switch' on the side of the engine.

@Nixter its describing a situation where the red rocker switch on the bars isn't working as normal...so he's resorted to using the master switch instead.

I have no answers, but maybe this sparks some other ideas :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

#7 Nixter, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    I have always used the key in the past, but this is keyless. The switch is a 3 position - off, on, and momentary for the starter. I only have 3400 miles on it and it is in a garage when I'm not on it. Will look for obvious pinched wires, if not will take it in and report back.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Hey Joe – Pete is right (in this case ;))...in the UK, the RS has just one master rocker switch to turn on the ignition and then start the engine. The ONLY way of stopping the engine is to press the big red switch and kill the power.

Alternatively, you can resort to kicking down the side stand, while it's in gear :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hiya joe, didn't want you to think I was being a bellend, it looks like this on the new keyless bikes buddy.

Screenshot_20201016-202752.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    This probably isn't relevent but when I picked up my SS and the sales guy was giving me the run through on the switchgear/instrumentation etc., he stated NOT to use the kill switch to stop the engine as routine. I did wonder why for a second but didn't ask him why. I've since noticed that if I turn on the ign (key) with the kill switch in "STOP", then flick the switch straight through "RUN" to "START", nothing happens until I release it and press "START" again. I've also noticed that the neutral light stays off when the ign is on and the kill switch in "STOP". Don't think it's a fault as such, just an observation of how they are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Probably just needs cleaning out, either water or dirt on the contacts. I had very similar on a Multistrada back in 2013/14, this is the trouble with keyless/electronics/canbus (5v), it doesn't take much to start getting weird problems, and motorcycle switchgear is difficult to make reliably waterproof.
    ( I sold the high tech Multistrada and bought my Speed Triple 94R - minimal electronics and a proper ignition switch :) )

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

That's funny, I also had a Multistrada S with electronic Ohlins suspension. Made me nervous when I saw how expensive it was if it ever needed replacing.

Everything was good coming home. I pulled everything and I think the problem may have been the wires under too much stress. The pinch clamp in the side was way tight, and I also had 60mm Rizoma risers that weren't helping. Nothing looks damaged, but I cleaned everything, removed the risers and checked connections. I have had electrical gremlins with canbus systems before. Everything has plenty of slack, will see if that did the trick.

• Like Like x 3
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    RS Pete
    No think the Bell End is my way opened my mouth and didn't know the bike was keyless. All new to me. Next time i will ask.
    Joe.