Juddering Under Braking

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Calvin Ellis, Oct 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Calvin Ellis

Calvin Ellis Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Marske by the sea
    Hi guys,
    Any info on possible reasons why my '72 Daytona judders on the front when I use the front brake.
    Have looked at forks and slight play but nothing severe. Only judders under hard braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Think you’ve answered your own question mate :confused:
    Shouldn’t be ANY play in the forks:eek:
    Your head bearings need doing and I would check wheel bearings as well :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Calvin Ellis

Calvin Ellis Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Marske by the sea
    Thoughts so, will check the head bearings first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BrianG

BrianG New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    West Sussex UK
    "Juddering" is a relative term as you don't say whether it's just at speed or all the time. It may be worth checking that the brake drum is not worn slightly oval. My 69 Daytona's brake drum is slightly oval, but it does not notice at low speeds in traffic. At higher speeds (above 50mph) there is a definite vibration/juddering when you apply the brake, which gets a bit better with firmer application of the brake lever, but of course you don't always want to brake that hard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Calvin Ellis
    Yes head bearings can cause this. Also take the shoe's and rough them up a bit also make sure you brake drum has not glazed. And most of all make sure your shoes have a leading edge.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hard braking you say? Have you overheated the brake and caused the hub to go oval??

• Like Like x 1
  7. BrianG

BrianG New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    West Sussex UK
    Hi Yorkshireman - if your reply was to me then no, I haven't overheated the brake drum. It's been like that since I bought the bike. I will give it a skim when I dismantle the wheel to fit a new rim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1