Joining the club but with either a T100 or T120 - help!!!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by toffeeboy, Jul 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Hi

I'm looking at joining the gang with a Bonnie, budget and head says a T100 BUT I had a test on a T120 Black, now I want the bike I rode. Having not riden a T100 is there a big difference between them out on the road? If so what?

Then I see for the same money as a new T120 I can get a used low miles Steve McQueen so that adds to the dilemma, so c'mon guys help me out. Which way should I go, T100 and some extra bits,T120 Black and live with it for a while in stock form until I get some pennies together or just blow the lot on a Steve McQ?

Thanks

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The t120 is meant to be the db's I won't get on a thruxtonR cos I know what'll happen, and I won't get rid of my Thrux 900 so that's you're dilemma, it's more advanced than mine!! No one is gonna be able to tell you what you want, they're all great bikes! Good luck

3. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    The T120 was very nice, the ThruxtonR is ace and I would have one in a flash but I must have bike that can take a pillion as 60% of use will be 2 up.
    That's the problem with toys, you go for the one you can afford and end up looking at the top shelf and then counting the loose change to scrape together enough for the next model up.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    My advice? Go for the T120, no question. Here's why:

1. ABS as standard - got to be good for 2-up riding;

2. LOADS more torque with the 1200cc motor by comparison to the 865cc jobbie in the T100.

I had a T100 and I'm a bit 'bulky' and on occasions would have liked more grunt. I tuned mine in various ways and it was a pleasure to own and ride but you'll have the same opportunity for personalisation with the T120 - to make it your own.

2-up riding? T120 all the way.

5. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Thanks guys, the dealers insurance doesn't allow for 2 up tests.

They didn't have a T100 available hence the T120, I need to check if that is because it was already out or they don't have one on the fleet.
    If it were a T100 I went for it would be a used Steve McQueen rep, I've checked and the seat can be changed to accommodate a pillion as that was my main concern plus now I'm thinking if it may be a bit gutless though I'm not expecting earth shattering performance, age and more importantly ability are against me on that front.

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum - the T100 (I had one) is a great bike but I suspect for two up touring there may be times when it could do with a bit more oomph. I would go for a T120.

7. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Welcome in toffeeboy, bigger cc bike is better than messing with tuning upgrades for 100, if insurance not much more then go with the 120 but what ever you choose both are good bikes.

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well I said no one will tell you what you want but they can tell you what you need, and judging by the fact that you'll be pillioned for the majority I'd say the 120 is going to be fave!

9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    :cool:

10. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Thanks guys, so it looks like a T120 black is the bike for me, head says so, heart keeps shouting 'buy the McQueen, buy the McQueen' but I think it's the look and nostalgia appeal against real world riding

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Maybe sneak one into the garage as a second bike in a couple of years when she's not looking!

12. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    This will be my second bike, three would be impossible ;-)