It's Nearly Over.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Nov 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #1 Judd Dredd, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What an awesome thread, @Judd Dredd! Thanks for "rallying the troops" to look at and for the positives of 2020 which truly has been an incredibly trying year for so many in so many ways.

I'll kick it off.......

I've learned to adapt and to be patient and to appreciate simple things that I previously took for granted through two major things that have impacted me this year--significant injuries and COVID. I also have a far greater appreciation of being able to spend time with family and friends and I long for the day when we can do that again with abandon.

I lost the job I had at the beginning of the year because of COVID and the economy. But I secured a new one in short order that is a much better "fit" for me. Plus I ride motorcycles with my new boss--ya can't really beat that!

Because of stay-at-home orders along with remote learning and online meetings for work for the first quarter of school due to COVID, I was able to spend far more time at home with our beloved boxer, Annie, than I would normally have towards the end of her life and to help her when she began to struggle. We said goodbye to her just three weeks ago..

2020 has made it very clear to me how much fun, happiness, and joy motorcycles--and a muscle car--add to my life and how therapeutic I find them by simply going for a ride or for a drive. And this is related to my first comment about appreciating things more now than ever because I couldn't ride OR drive for months and now am grateful every day that I can do both. I know I won't be able to do those things forever so I'm thankful for and relishing them now in a way I did not previously. So one of the positives I'll remember about 2020 is that is was the year I added a Mustang Bullitt and a 2020 H-D Street Glide Special and (more to come on this one) soon a 2020 H-D Low Rider S to the garage.

Last but definitely not least, 2020 for me will be the year that Biden won the U.S. presidential election... and Trump lost!

So here's to the negatives of 2020.....

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 7.35.29 PM.png

And here's to the positives!

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 7.54.10 PM.png

I also want to express my deepest condolences to those forum members who have lost loved ones to COVID and to other causes during 2020. And to those who have lost jobs or who have experienced other types of losses or have struggled mightily in other ways this past year. Here's to a better 2021.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 7.47.53 PM.png

• Like Like x 15
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    And all this joy under a Trump administation?

Grabs coat, leaves..................................

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #4 Pegscraper, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Another big +1 from me on the prospect of a better 2021 although, TBH I've faired better than many so far this year. Retirement in April, albeit into a lockdown, new SS in June and not much to do now except ride the bikes, a couple of other hobbies and drink some beer. Dang! decisions, decisions.... All very enjoyable of course but I think everyone will agree health, family and friends are are top of the list.
    Remember, a good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.

Sandi T, I just googled a "Mustang Bullitt". Wow!, a garage full of bikes plus an iconic muscle car. How do you choose? Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Just read some of your old posts and it looks like you took a real beating with your bicycle crash. So glad to hear you're on the mend. Had a similar mishap cycling to work back in 2004. Bicycle + left hand bend + black ice = 1 x broken hip + 2 permanent steel screws + 3 months off work. Stay safe :).

• Like Like x 7
  5. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    About 150 veterans turning up to Shoebury Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday. Was chatting with another fella from the artillery who was there to lay a wreath. The police turned up. One officer and a PSCO. They were chatting with us happily, but they knew that things would turn to shite if they tried to stop 150 soldiers from honouring their brothers on the most important day of the year.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 4
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I really feel for everybody who has lost loved ones, their jobs or their sanity in this shittest of all years. I hope you get comfort where you can.
    My biggest positive of working from home is being able to be more flexible with working hours and so having loads more time to play with our grandson when we have him. The Tuesday afternoon and Fridays are an absolute joy!
    I also realise how fortunate I am to not have to worry where my next meal is coming from or how to pay Bills.
    So all in all FECK YOU 2020

• Like Like x 9
  7. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Me and Mrs JtC have been blessed beyond measure. I wouldn’t trade 2020 any more than I’d trade any other year of my life. It’s all part of living and that is something to be grateful for. As a friend will tell me if she thinks I’m getting whiny about something, “suck it up, buttercup”.

• Like Like x 11
  8. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I started bringing my dog to work when things went on lockdown and when things opened back up I left her home. That didn’t go over well, everyone I saw would ask where she was and looked sad that she wasn’t there. So now she comes to work with me every day and is a constant source of entertainment and stress relief.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, Taullpaul, amazing isn't it?! And who knows how much more joy-filled it could have been under a different administration. ;):joy:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Pegscraper, Mr. Sandi and I often use the description of a good friend you shared. "A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move the body". :joy: Such a truism. Glad you are faring well in spite of it all. Retirement, bikes, and beer. Along with health, family, and friends (who will help you move the body), those things all make for a good life. :)

Yes, I'm blessed in spite of the bicycle crash and COVID and other challenges during 2020. It sounds like your 2004 crash was really nasty. Glad you've recovered from the sounds of it. You stay safe too! :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 3
  11. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Well, at best, 2020 provided the end of Das Drumpf reign of terror (or comedy) his “administration” provided. That’s a start...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #12 Wessa, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Yep you are so right. We lost my mum and my wifes dad this year, which was really tough as we could not see them in hospital before they left us. But having said that we have worked it through and we will get through the rest of this year despite the restrictions, and I'm hopeful for a much better 2021 :heart:

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Junksmith

Junksmith Active Member

I was told to take a year off from running the Lions Bike Show in the Adelaide Hills and I nearly gave up but we did it and thousands of people had a good excuse to go for a ride. People who say it can't be done are frequently right but they only remember the people that did something...

1.jpg

• Like Like x 5