Featured 765 It's Here!

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by learningtofly, Nov 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #1 learningtofly, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Okay, a bit of an update for this week, then...

I popped up to Motorcycles Live at the NEC with a mate on Tuesday. I was interested to learn whether there would be anything there that might make me think there was a better bike for me than the Street Triple. There were certainly some amazing bikes, but nothing that made me question my decision to stick with Triumph. Came away with a discounted Abba stand too!

Late in the day I got a call to say that my bike would be ready to collect the next day (Wednesday), which was a day earlier than we'd planned. It transpired that I didn't actually ride it away from the dealership until about 5.30, as they were having problems seeing the bank transfer that I'd made the previous evening. That meant an immediate two miles of filtering in the dark and in very hairy traffic as a first ride, but in any event I got it home safely and have put some miles on it today. Tomorrow morning I'll be riding out to Chesham, where it'll get an ACF-50 treatment.

First thoughts? Well, it's definitely a more aggressive riding position than the Twin, but I'm already getting used to it and I'm not feeling any strain at all on my wrists. I'd also say that it's much more unforgiving, in that if you get anything wrong (particularly with the throttle) you certainly know about it. It's probably a good thing that I'm limited to 5000 rpm for the first 300 miles, and then 6000 rpm for the next 300. It produces peak torque somewhat higher than that, so by the time i get to test that I'll be properly used to the handling.

Anyway, I love the bike, and whilst giving up the retro loveliness of the Twin caused a pang or two, I'm certain that it would have happened sooner or later, and sooner was a whole lot cheaper. And I LOVE the Triple.
    Some quick and dirties from my iPhone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few upgrades/extras that I'm thinking about now, including a Yoshimura exhaust (they sound fantastic, and the baffle pops out very easily). However, for now I had the following bits fitted before I picked it up:

Flyscreen

[​IMG]

Frame protectors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heated grips

[​IMG]

Paddock stand bobbins (now somewhat redundant, having bought an Abba stand!)

[​IMG]

And a tail tidy (which I had shortened a bit, and to which I've fitted a small show plate)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 20
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    All looks great matey, just get some miles under your belt now, that motor is truly wonderful and with the R should be better on the road for daily use that the RS I had, the only good thing about running in is that you get used to the bike before you push it. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yes, the motor is a beauty. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Cheers Andy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    Enjoy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Great pictures beautiful bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks very much :blush:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Have fun with that! Looks great!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    'R' is definitely a better every day bike than the RS. Add a quickshifter and belly pan and it'll be sweet to ride and look the bollocks. Check out the SC Projects exhaust before you commit to the Yoshi. I'm not trying to sell it, but we have one on display at Woburn if you want to see one in the flesh so to speak, and our apprentice has one fitted to his STriple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    The SC Project is very much on my radar, Rich, as is the belly pan (in red). I’m not sure that I want the quickshifter right now, but I expect at some stage it’ll get added.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    Rich, is the R really much better than the RS for everyday riding? I've a chance of a 16 plate RS in black with only 700miles on it for 8.9k

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    The RS is fantastic mate, but hard suspension. Really a track bike. That said, I do love riding our demo on the roads as Sunday blast-out. But for every day riding the R is more user friendly, and is what I would buy. But if the price is right ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    Thanks Rich advice from someone in the know is worth more than a discount!!! The RS has gone now, it was an 18 plate they have the 675 R on a 16plate done 7k at just under six grand, looks nice but think I will hold out for the new model R. Jordan Bikes in Leeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #15 learningtofly, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    So, I rode out to Chesham today for my local AYB rep to give the bike an ACF-50 treatment... about 25 miles each way, although sadly the weather was pretty grotty. Anyway, I learnt two things.

Firstly, if you wear laced boots on the bike, ALWAYS tie a double knot, FFS. I went to put my right foot down after realising I'd stopped at a roundabout in 2nd gear, and found that the lace had loosened and wrapped itself around the brake lever. It was sheer luck that I had enough play in it to put my foot down but for a moment I was pretty sure that the bike was going over, with my leg trapped underneath it. A simple lesson, but an important one - it could so easily have been a different story.

Secondly, I realised something about the relative characteristics of the Twin and Triple after I got back home. Because I'm running the Triple in, I'm restricted to 5000rpm which will get me to 60mph on a flat road in 6th gear. Despite that, it seemed to just eat up the miles - I can't think of another way to put it. On the Twin, I always felt that on motorways and fast A roads it was being taken out of its comfort zone. Somehow, it was a bit of a strain, and only really felt "right" when I was back on slower roads, or poodling along in traffic.

The two bikes really couldn't be more different, and I'm finding it fascinating!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Good point :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  18. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Give me the Twin every time on the twisty tight country roads; few can keep up. And the STriple every time on the bendy, sweeping A Roads; in a class of its own and will leave most bikes gasping. If I was buying again from scratch it'd be the STriple R if I couldn't have both.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I'd have loved to keep both, Rich, if I could. That said, I think the stock tyres on the Twin are sh*te!

BTW, I watched the vid in your signature - superb!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mike McC

Mike McC New Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Camberley
    Like the photos, nice machine. Had my R for 18 months and still love it. Enjoy!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1