It's Amazing How Wrong One Can Be.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thorcusmodee, Jul 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    Some of you will have read my posts about my Trophy that sounds like a machine gun. I was totally 100% convinced that it was upper engine noise yet could not understand why I could find nothing obviously wrong. I now know why - because obviously nothing was wrong :) Turns out it is the left hand pot, the big end bearing is absolutely destroyed. I removed the liners so I could have a better look at everything having found nothing wrong with the top, the problem revealed itself instantly, I feel a right tool that it took me so long to get to the bottom of it. Having investigated further, there are further signs that the engine has previously been worked on by a muppet, there were only minute traces of Hylomar round the liner seats for example. I'm pretty certain Mr oil and Mrs Water had been having a close relationship in there and it's not done it any good at all. So that's my plans buggered then, I can't sell it without a total engine rebuild so methinks it's take it to bits and sell everything I don't need time. Thanks to all those that offered help and advice, sorry it was a trip up the garden path.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Thanks for the update, just goes to show how noises transfer themselves purely to confuse us :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thorcusmodee

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    I'm gobsmacked. I even had my Nephew listen to it and he is a damn fine full time mechanic. I shall beat him later.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Modesty forbids but did I not suggest as much? I was curious about the carbon apparently missing on one cylinder as though it might be getting hammered......top end noise bottom end cause.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thorcusmodee

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    You did, I thought you were wrong, you were not and I was. All quite embarrassing really :) And expensive, I'd bought a new head gasket and everything LOL.

6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Did you not have a "spare" engine that you could swap in ?

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Don’t worry......I usually am wrong! Ask SWMBO.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Thorcusmodee

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    I'm going to use that in my cafe racer.

9. Thorcusmodee

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    No, that's right, they never are. I thought mine was wrong once but it turned out that I was wrong and that she was right all along. Thank God I found out before it got too serious. I got away with just light bruising :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yup, guess who wears the slacks in HER house.....:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    My Mrs bought me a mug saying, I would agree with you,,,,,, but then we would BOTH be WRONG ! Would be good of she thought it was a joke ! :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2