It finally happend - Wiped out

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Red Thunder, Mar 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Yesterday a female in her 65 plate Audi A3 crossed from lane 3 to 2 on the A40 into London.
    She didn't look behind properly and changed lane just as I was passing.

By some miracle I rolled with the drop and jumped up to give her a middle finger salute with each hand right there standing in lane 2 with all the traffic stopped. I have a bruised leg and shoulder, that is all, I kid you not. I wasn't going fast mind, probably 20mph but the Halversons trousers, the Triumph explorer jacket, the Sidi boots and Knox winter gloves with all their padding and armour saved me from goodness knows what damage, and they didn't even get a mark. other than the knuckle armour.

My damage is about £2k if I repair it myself which I intend to do, worst damage is a buckled front wheel and broken brake pedal plus some plastic. Her car needs a new passenger door and front NSF wing. I also think the frame is buckled so it may even be classified as a write off! IMG_20170306_090128.jpg IMG_20170306_090137.jpg IMG_20170306_090219.jpg IMG_20170306_092958.jpg IMG_20170306_104937.jpg

IMG_20170306_090128.jpg

IMG_20170306_090137.jpg

IMG_20170306_090219.jpg

IMG_20170306_092958.jpg

IMG_20170306_104937.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #2 MickEng, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Sorry to hear that Red Thunder and really glad that you have not been seriously injured.
    Reading the post below from Gary, I agree with him, you might be better getting yourself checked out by a medic.
    What do you mean by 'repair it yourself' surely it is an insurance repair, if the frame is buckled it should be written off.

3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Ouch. Feel for you RT. pleased to hear you are pretty much unscathed. A good advert for proper togs, though not sure how hiviz helps when there's dozy drivers on the loose. Yours looks like an insurance write off. If still roadworthy (or fixable) you could always buy it back off the insurance company and do it up.

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Your eagle eyes again DD :big-tick-emoticon:

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Sounds like you got off lightly :) Glad you are reasonably well following that.
    Just see how you feel sometimes injuries that seem minor can take a few hours to show how bad/good they are.

6. odysseyhal9000

Feb 9, 2017
    Earth
    Aghhhhhh! That beautifel SE :mad:

You do know it's your fault don't you? She always switches lanes there at that time every day, so why would she need to divert her attention from topping up her lip gloss and checking her online status?? Surely it's up to everyone else to keep out of her way??o_Oo_O

• Like Like x 5
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Happy your ok joy.

Fu£k %uck f%ck fuc&

8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Did you get it on your Camera? Glad your not badly hurt.

Hope you get her back on the road soon mate ;) ( the bike not the car driver :oops::D)

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry to hear it rd, but definitely get yourself checked out, you never know what might turn up later

• Like Like x 3
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Glad you are OK, it could have been much worse.

11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bad news mate but glad to hear that you seem to be OK - but agree with others, best get checked out by the Doc.

12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Been acouple of days now and my leg hasn't even bruised yet, just a bit of swelling
    When I said the frame may be bent I meant her car, I think where my Crash SLiders dug into her car door they also bent the frame there.

My bike is fine, the damage being all on the Off Side
    - Font Wheel buckled (Tyre had 310 miles on it from new - still better change as it has been impacted)
    - Brake pedal broke
    - Mirrors, bar ends and grip are busted
    - Brake lever bent/scratched
    - Headlight cowl smashed - Can't get new ones in my colours anymore!
    - Radiator cover smashed
    - Clutch cover has a scrape (new gaskets also would be needed)
    - Rear footpag holder is scraped
    - Shark helmet has a small scrape on the back but will still need replacing

I reacon £2kish

I checked the alignment last night with long bits of sturdy wood I keep just for the job and it still seems perfect.
    I will be getting Triumph M40 to collect, assess and quote for the work

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire

If you estimate it as 2k I bet it turns out to be 4K.

14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I do feel the need to repair it myself as I do all work on my bike and I would get the bike back on the road quicker. But I definetly need a proffessional assesment to ensuer all damage is accounted for and not just the visual stuff I can see.

Don't get me wrong, I trust Hughenden M40, absolutely, but she is my bike and I want to heal her...:D

So parts would be about £2k including helmet, my bike is valued at around £5k. I reckon all the bits an be done in one day so about £500 of labour.
    It is fully comp insurance with £350 excess

Yes, all captured in glorious 1050P high definition with front and rear cameras. I need to go through it though and upload it to Carole Nash, plus my statement.
    On the video she is totally hidden in front of a large van and pulls out when I am level with the rear of the van, even travelling a lot slower, I would still have impacted her car, just at a sharper angle and I would probably have had broken legs and pelvis.

When I have time I will edit into a YouTube vid.

• Like Like x 2
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi RT, glad to hear you are in good shape but I also reckon a medical inspection is a must, as you never know what might come out later.

If the accident happened like you described then the fault must be 100% hers and therefore her insurance pays. Plus by the sound of it you've got good evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Red,
    As stated earlier by several members I think you should be applying the same professional assessment to yourself as well as the bike.

17. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Glad you're ok mate, but one question - you say she changed from lane 3 to lane 2? So you were undertaking? That's only permissible in 'congested conditions' which is, of course, subjective, so her insurer may argue the toss.

18. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    And you think I'm cynical:eek::D

19. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Good to hear it's just money and no broken bones or worse:cool:

20. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member