Isle of man tt

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Matt800xc, Apr 5, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    So how many from this forum are off to the tt this year and wheres your fav viewing spot ? Personally i love it up at the cregg

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    my fav viewing spot this year will be the TV :( great coverage you get nowadays..never been to the TT although a couple of years ago me and the wife took the bike over a few weeks before the TT, a lot quieter and cheaper i was told prices almost double during the TT! :eek:
    i was able to do 4 laps of the circuit they had all the signs and crash barriers up, it was really interesting to see all the famous parts, favourite parts were Quarry bends,Gooseneck and up the mountain,stopped off at Creg ny baa for lunch, i imagine that would be a good place to watch

3. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    It is expensive but if you look at it as i do , ferry £240 this year but then you dont pay to watch the racing , what would that cost at bsb /wsb ? We have indoor camping at £16 pppn in a village hall wth all mod cons even a shower , the atmosphere on the island is brill, its my 14th trip and love it,once its in your blood your hooked .

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Not going to the TT but going over to the IOM x 3 trips.

1st trip is to the Southern100 pre TT classic races held at the end of May :)
    2nd trip is to the Southern100 International races held in July :)
    I will be marshalling again at both of the above events.
    What I like about the Southern100 race meetings is that prices are not hiked up and the Island isn't over crowded.
    Practice, qualifying and some of the races are held in the evenings which lets you have your days free to do what you want.

3rd trip is to the Classic TT plus Manx GP at the end of August :)

Can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    I agree the island gets real busy during tt fortnight but theres always somewhere quiet to go if you venture off the normal attractions.i did 300 miles last year on tracks and byways , good old xc did good

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Not the TT but Classic/Manx in August again, not so busy as TT, love the range of bikes and the different engine sounds.

Marshalled last year as we went practice week, up and close to the bikes in places you normally cannot get.

Teejay

7. Eyore

Eyore Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Ireland
    Yesssssssssssss, I am going over on the 29th May for a week. Cant wait, staying in a homestay in Peel. Was last there in 2013 when Micky D won 4 races, hope this is his year again.

8. MuddyFoxDan

MuddyFoxDan New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    stafford
    Ferry booked wednesday to wednesday night race week, go every year, have been for previous 5 years, theres no better place on the planet! People are all lovely, get no trouble, atmosphere is awesome!
    Favorite place to watch is gorse lea, a lad next to us had a radar gun, clocked micky D round there at something daft fully banked over, front wheel off the ground at 165, within a foot of the riders, sat on a foot and half wide wall one side is track other side is 8ft drop into a field :D such a buzz!
    Do agree its getting noticably busier every year, hopefully with Guy not racing this year it may help though.
    Dad goes the manx, marshalls and loves it, so much quieter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Eyore, If you want something different come across to Castletown for the Pre TT Classic races run by the Southern100 club on Monday 30th May which is the main race day. You usually get a few TT racers out.
    Held on the Billown circuit its a 4.25 mile lap of public roads and your not waiting ages for the riders to come through, excellent meeting.

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just bumped into 12 lads from Catalonia all filling up at my local Tesco express on their way to Liverpool and then the TT.
    Ducatis, BMWs and Aprilias - but no Triumphs!

11. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I've booked up for 2017, it will be about 30 years since I last went.

12. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Onchan is a bit 'middle of nowhere' but there is a little lane that allows you to get up to the gooseneck without using the circuit. I stayed there about 5 years ago just down the road from the pub.

13. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Ha, I've just looked on Google earth, we were in Glen Mona not Onchon, how the hell I got that from I dont know. Anyway theres a great little lane in Glen Mona to get you to the Gooseneck.........

• Like Like x 1
  14. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Will be there 2017, missed 2016 after a little indecent there in 2015......basically I came home (just) the bike didn't.
    Really looking forward to getting back there

15. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Yes it is pricey. I've booked B&B in a guest house called Seascape in Laxey at £175 per night for 8 nights for me and the misses. I don't actually know the cost of the ferry as you reserve the crossing you want and get notified in December what it costs. I'm guessing about £200 ish.

The guesthouse sounds expensive but given its high standard it compares favourably to the alternative 3 and 4 star hotels. http://seascape.im

The main problem I found is finding accommodation as all the decent places get booked up by whoever stopped in them the previous year as they check out. Booking the ferry was also difficult. I logged onto the Steampacket ferry site at 08:30 the morning they were open for 2017 bookings. The booking system they use is crap. It crashed 3 times befor I could get a booking at 11:30. Even then I had to extend my trip by 1 day and sail from Heysham as all the Liverpool and Birkenhead options had gone.

Still I'm going.