Is This Used 2001 Bonneville Worth $4,500?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Douglas Whittle, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?
  1. Overpriced!

60.0%
  2. Buy it!

20.0%
  3. Fair price!

20.0%
  1. Douglas Whittle

Douglas Whittle New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Fort Myers, Florida
    #1 Douglas Whittle, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    I'm looking to upgrade from my junky rebel after riding for a few years now, and I've been browsing the local classifieds looking to buy a bigger used bike. As a huge fan of triumphs, I fell in love with this 2001 Bonneville, but it's been heavily customized. I like the look, but I'm not sure if the changes he made really make the bike worth $4,500. It only has 6k miles and looks beautiful, but as a struggling student with a tight budget, I'm apprehensive to splurge on this beast. Please let me know your thoughts and if you think the seller is asking too much.

[​IMG]

You'll see a list of the parts he added to the right of the image. After messaging the seller, he's told me he'd let it go for $4,475 (Talked down from $4,950) it includes the original parts, two helmets, and an aluminum bike ramp.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Local market conditions will dictate price but at £3,700 over here it would be regarded as ‘ambitious’. If dropping $25 is his idea of haggling I would draw the appropriate inference and walk.....leave him your number and tell him when it still hasn’t sold you might be interested at $3,800.......if you haven’t meanwhile found a more reasonably priced ride. He might spit a bit!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    How many are for sale? Is she rare in the US?
    10% drop in price seems reasonable so up to you, you're only here once have what you want unless it leaves you so skint you can't eat!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #4 Sprinter, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    He's done the suspension up grade, good.what is this lift/ramp are they the same thing?
    Apart from the suspension (£450) there's not really anything else done, you really can't count tyres.and the old shocks where rubbish to start with.
    Look at the bikes condition and compare with others for sale on a like for like basis,
    Age,
    Millage ,
    Condition,
    Good luck, nice bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Calix

Calix New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Planet Earth
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. PaulCas

PaulCas Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Overpriced.
    The thing about modifications is they are personal choice and rarely add value to a bike (or car). A bike in standard condition will nearly always attract more potential buyers and consequently a higher price.
    Paul

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    The Bike is only worth what you are prepared to pay. If the seller doesn't like it walk away there will be another.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    If the seller thinks that’s a Cafe racer conversion, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    I think it's a really good look. Some mods he hasn't mentioned, either cut down or replacement front mud guard and a fek at the rear, and they are not standard silencers. They look like they might be tors, or maybe an after market make? The fact he has not mentioned this in his list of extras might be due to them being done by a previous owner.

The wheel bearings would indeed have been changed when the wheels were powder coated.

If that bike was in the UK I think that £3800 Would be a likely asking price, the older bikes seem to be appreciating now.
    If you like it and can afford it go for it;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PaulCas

PaulCas Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WCB

WCB Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Noblesville IN
    My 2006 Black Bonnie with 8400 miles, with new signals and pipes was $4000. A few hundred dollars this way or that is not as important as your bond with the pony.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    If you go on ebay.Hit "advanced search " then ' completed listings ' you get final sale price

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, aside from the bike question I’d just suggest you factor in the cost of buying your own NEW helmet rather than trusting your head inside one you know nothing about that may have been dropped etc ... good luck with the decision on the bike

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Calix

Calix New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Planet Earth
    Did you end buying it? or what did you buy?

• Agree Agree x 1