Tiger 800 Is This Typical For The 800?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by XCx800, Nov 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. XCx800

XCx800 New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Belgium
    Hi ,i’am new here and have bought a 2017 XCx 800 Tiger with 4500km on it.
    Before i let the dealer check this out i wanted to hear your's opinion.
    My question is that during riding cobblestones or other bumpy roads I hear and feel (in the handlebar) a sort of rattle (cloink noise) in the front area near the cockpit or lower. I’ve checked every accessible bolt or nut in that area and still no difference. On smooth tarmac no problem.
    Is this typical for the 800?
    If not any idea what it could be?

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi and welcome in. The possible causes are loose steering head bearings and or excessive play in the wheel bearings, easily checked at home but as your bike is under warranty I’d get the dealer to have a look.

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    could it be the brake pads? Try doing same with brakes on slightly
    Brake hoses on the mudguard?

4. XCx800

XCx800 New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Belgium
    Went to a dealer today ,steering head bearings seems fine ,also the breakpads. He also had no idea what could cause the "rattle" but did mention that Tigers with cast rims also suffers from al lot of front noise.
    So still no answer what the noise could be.....

5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I’ve had two Tiger 800’s from new in the last 5years an XC and a XRX and neither of them suffered from front end noise.
    I think your dealer is talking rubbish :rolleyes:

6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum XC

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

7. XCx800

XCx800 New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Belgium
    Update! Have taken of the adjustable highscreen for a spin and that seems being responsible for a great deal of the ratlle. Still some noise but much better so i guess its normal for this bike.
    My previous ,a Transalp 700 had also a high screen but not adjustable therefore difficult to compare...
    Thanks for yout input and until later!

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well glad you’ve found some of the source, is it the triumph one? maybe there’s a spacer or two missing cos mine didn’t rattle. As there is some rattle left maybe the screen was just acting as an amplifier for the noise?

9. XCx800

XCx800 New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Belgium
    Yes ,its the Triumph one ,it stands as high as possible (so far away from me) to be comfortable for my 1.70m height. No missing spacers aldo i'am going to buy some small rubber sealings to put in between screen and bolts.