Rocket Is This Hanging Off?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by David Downes, Apr 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I noticed while cleaning the bike yesterday, that the lower part of the front grille (not sure really what's actually behind it) looks like it's hanging off:
    https://imgur.com/a/2dGcdHN

In the first photo, it's the bit closest to he camera, the second pic is from the other side, I tried to get an angle that showed it not being flush with the line of the upper grille. I'm not sure if it's always been like that, something new, or if that's just the design.

Could anyone with a Rocket 3 please let me know if theirs is the same?

I had a quick look/feel, it moves slightly, but not very much, and I could see anything clips or anything that would hold it back in place.

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

My 04 doesn't have the lower grill beneath the radiator, it just has the oil filter behind a chrome cover and the radiator hose on show.

20180622_125656880.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Definitely not right :confused:
    Here’s mine 34209A9B-8BEC-48E0-9441-576D84D204A8.jpeg 20664ADE-12AD-4E02-B400-574AD51A77A5.jpeg 57F35120-784B-4D2E-855D-C4D91357BAE0.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  4. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    hmmmmm, not sure if I should not ride it until it's looked at ... which could be months since the dealers are closed :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Get down and take a look :)
    Might be something simple :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I did already get down and have a look, pushed it a bit, it doesn't want to go back. I just had a fairly proper look, lying on my back. I can't really see any 'problems' except that it isn't sitting right.

The painted surround of the grille does seem to be loose against the grille itself, so I can push it back a bit, but not far enough to even have it sit right - let alone stay there.

There's a bracket that holds (what appears to be) the frame to which that whole thing clips/sits. and there's a slight bend in it on the side that's hanging low, which I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there. I tried to take some photos, but I couldn't get an angle that showed anything useful. If I try to push up on the bracket from underneath, the bike starts to move on the sidestand before the bracket would bend.

The only thing I can think is that perhaps the dealership had the bike jacked up while doing the service recently, and perhaps didn't do it right?

On the 'good' side of the bike, there's still about a 5mm gap between the bottom grille, and the top one, is that the same on yours too @dilligaf? On the 'bad' side it's probably about 10mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just got out of the shower :confused:
    Back in the garage tomorrow and will have a better look when I’ve got my overalls on :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Mines fine, I wish I had a problem to report but the bikes not moved for weeks :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I couldn't actually work out how to embed the image in my post @Dozers Dad, and I was previously told on this forum that it's a standard easy place to dump images, it's not a spam site.

I just tried dragging and dropping, which I didn't expect to work, but here they are ...

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Oh, and thanks for the link @SleepyOwl, but I wouldn't have a clue where to get the part number, I'm not even entirely sure which part is to blame yet.

The only good news is that there's no warnings on the bike, the thing (while sitting too low) is still solidly attached, so I don't suppose there's any reason that it'd be dangerous to ride.

...hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Thanks for the help guys, I have taken another look, and in my fiddling, the clip on the other side came undone, and it won't clip back in, but I can't actually see a corresponding clip on the side that was initially dropped.

I can now however see how I can get the whole thing off, 2 bolt underneath. But they're nice and tight, and without undoing them, there's no way it's going to just fall off.

If I grow a pair, I might try and remove it tomorrow, and see what I can see when it's all exposed. But given that I'm fairly satisfied that it won't catastrophically fail, and given that I probably won't be on it much (apart from 'essential shopping runs') I might just wait until the dealer is open again, and get them to take a look.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    David Downes.
    Get some self tappers and just screw them through the front of the grill. Only joking of course. Some just clip back but yo say you tried that. Perhaps one of the retaining brackets has got a little bend or buckle. But I doubt they will fall of if bolted. And your circlip get some pointy nosed pliers and clip it back on and check it is on correctly just use a screwdriver or small bar and a gentle tap.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Did you grow a pair :joy:
    Sorry mate I forgot to look at mine and it’s got a huge dust cover on it as well as all of shite in my garage surrounding it while I tidy up :confused:
    Hopefully you got sorted :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    @dilligaf Unfortunately not, I had forgotten that the Mrs had booked me in for 4 hours of DIY construction of a kids garden playhouse, and then cooking Sunday lunch. So not time in the garage yesterday unfortunately. Will have to wait until either an evening this week, or the weekend :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  18. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Hah, but it's probably that last 20% of the benefits from the Mrs that'd be the most painful to loose :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I have been looking at this since the first pic, it looks like an unattatched mounting tab to me. Can you look and see a possible missing bolt/screw? Good old vibration could be the culprit here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Right :mad: this was bugging the shite out of me:mad:
    So I pulled the cover off CERBERUS and decided to remove this cover :)
    Piece of piss :)
    Two Allen bolts underneath :)
    Then it just pulls off towards the front wheel....easy :) D679212C-FF95-49D7-B90B-414A4B0EBF2F.jpeg it is held in place by two push lugs here :)
    One in the centre and one on the R/H side of the bike :) 92A17301-7EF1-4A44-9493-33B19A88EC37.jpeg it doesn’t have one on the left :confused: 500A6497-AD31-45EA-8EDD-7AEF63915779.jpeg the two push lugs:) 32A06EB0-DAAF-4598-858F-8CB01D04246A.jpeg and this on the left :confused:
    Can’t see that it does anything except maybe a lining up guide :) 40EBDD43-6F4C-49C6-9DF4-3FD042204BB6.jpeg hope this helps mate :)
    Gonna put it back on and put the cover back on CERBERUS :cool:
    I suspect that when it was at the dealer it was put on a ramp and it got snagged when it was wheeled off :confused:
    Take the two bolts off and re-align the cover :)
    Probably just the centre one been popped out :confused:

you owe me a drink :yum:p

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1