Is This Damaged Paint

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tripster1050, Sep 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tripster1050

Tripster1050 New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lancashire UK
    5902374F-61DC-486D-BEC6-697537D2232B.jpeg C2450E2D-6B6C-49D4-95DB-396A9129B917.jpeg CF1EC179-0E88-426D-AEBE-90C7ED1974F2.jpeg Notice this on underneath of oil cooler today.
    800 mile Speed Triple RS, new a few months ago.
    Is it just been painted over where paints flaked off ?

2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum! Since you can read the decals, it might be a bad 'clear coat' over the paint. It looks like the coat was too heavy and that the piece was turned vertically, allowing it to run. But it may also have been caused by some type of solvent that softened the paint and clear coat, if you used something to clean off bugs and dirt at that location. It would be good to add a little information to your introduction and maybe post a picture of the whole bike. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tripster1050

Tripster1050 New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lancashire UK
    Many thanks, I will edit post. I have posted on the forum before but will add a little more detail

4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Sorry - I was confused. I thought I saw 'newbie' when I started to respond. No need if you already posted something when you joined.

5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Looks like powder coat put on too heavy and sagged when baked to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Not good take it back and complain

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tripster1050

Tripster1050 New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lancashire UK
    after the new tank under warranty already I feel they will wish I never bought a bike from them

8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    To me that looks like aluminium corrosion under the paint. Providing you have no stone chips which would allow water in you should be good under warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tripster1050

Tripster1050 New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lancashire UK
    No stone chips Glyn. Its only done 800 miles and a few months old just gutted its another possible paint issue

10. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    That's what warranties are for matey but expect to not have your bike for a while. :pensive:

Triumph as a manufacture are full of crap like, i feel as if the "India" made bikes are better made at the min...... the factory tour is all about quality control..... really triumph have you Seen this.

11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I know what you mean, once you have an issue with so little mileage you just feel like you’re being had over. Hopefully it’s a one off I’ve owned three Triumphs now and only had an issue with a seat cowel that would never locate properly on my Daytona and Triumph did brush me off with that but all three have been so great I kind of forgave them..

Probably should have pushed harder, all the best moving forward with a claim

12. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Only my opinion but it does look like corrosion under the paint,viewing on a phone so maybe get better view on laptop not acceptable anyhoo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Michael Greenhaf

Dec 29, 2017
    Merthyr Tydfil
    Seems like the lacquer. Is breaking down due to moisture happened on my america so they replaced them happened again so I took all the laquer off and polished them to a chrome finish but yours are gold so get them replaced happy days.

https://media.giphy.com/media/33OrjzUFwkwEg/giphy.gif

14. Michael Greenhaf

Dec 29, 2017
    Merthyr Tydfil

15. Michael Greenhaf

Dec 29, 2017
    Merthyr Tydfil
    Ignore my reply got wrong end of the stick it seems like corrosion under the paint if it's under warranty take it back or rub it down and put smooth hammerite on it

16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s both possibly a run in the coating and where the decal is that’s corrosion painted over. It’s possibly bare metal stored damp then just picked up off the production line, not prepped and just blasted in paint. Stick a sharp knife blade in and see if it flakes.
    For corrosion to get that big it could take 18 months from the start if left bare at the quickest if the alloy is cheap and porous which would be out of your hands anyway and the component manufacturers would be responsible.

17. Michael Greenhaf

Dec 29, 2017
    Merthyr Tydfil
    t: 219075, member: 8795"]Seems like the lacquer. Is breaking down due to moisture happened on my america so they replaced them happened again so I took all the laquer off and polished them to a chrome finish but yours are gold so get them replaced happy days.

https://media.giphy.com/media/33OrjzUFwkwEg/giphy.gif[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Michael Greenhaf,it looks like weld and as its out of view I would leave it as long as rust does not break through

18. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Definitely right back to dealer with that. Perhaps another member with a RS can see what theirs looks like and share.

19. Tripster1050

Tripster1050 New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lancashire UK
    Today I finally had a reply on warranty claim...Triumph regarded it as category C and because its out of sight they rejected the claim !!!! £13k bike and so long as its out of view then its ok to be built crap gutted. Dealer said I could try a strongly worded email but after such good service from Triumph I am utterly pissed off with their reason

20. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    If there is corrosion you should definitely have a good case. If its just the finish doesn't seem too unreasonable if it's not generally visible ..