Featured Is There Any Point In Having A Fast Bike Anymore?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by speeder, Jan 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Had my speed triple for a year now and done 5000 miles, overall l am very pleased with it.
    However l am beginning to wonder if there is much point in having it now what with all the congestion, speed cameras, poor driving standards and crap road surfaces etc.

My last bike was a big trailie which was of course not not as fast but much more comfortable and practical, the triumph is more expensive to run and maintain and more fun on an open road but l find there are few opportunities to enjoy the performance these days. Thinking of going back to a trailie again.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #2 Wire-Wheels, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    I really think this is the reason cruisers are so popular here in the U.S. Most of your riding is done.in congested areas. You have to posess a death wish to go ripping through the twistys in most places. You never know what is around the next corner. The US is all "Too many people, not.enough road" . True you can get out to the open spaces in the middle of.the country,.but then you are going to want something comfortable under you. …J.D.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    As well as my old Speedmaster I have a 89 Honda Transalp 600 for general use all year round and work, it ain't pretty but its cheap to run and insure and a lower tax bracket and I don't get upset if I drop it,
    It does not get the care and pampering as the Triumph but it always starts and runs and owes me nothing,

But then to keep the likes of me in second hand bikes someone needs to buy new and after all we are only here for a short time if you can why not pamper yourself better than leaving it to someone else or heavens forbid the government No a big bike is not sensible in this day and age but its desirable and it ain't boring.

• Like Like x 8
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Your bike is not the problem, it's where you live!!!:p

No speed cameras or congestion up here. I know it can't be a solution for everyone, but sod the rest of humanity, look after No.1.

Move to somewhere quiet with plenty of good quiet roads. I can go out in the summer and do 50 miles riding as quick as is safe to go, without going through a town, and sometimes not seeing a car :p:cool:

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 6
  5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    What about the other 51 weeks of the year? :D

• Funny Funny x 19
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I moved WAY out at one time. I lived on an 1.33 acre lot outside the city. I now live in town. Traffic lights, crazy city people, crime. Too much of everything. My address has not changed. I just no longer have a house payment. "Civilization" has finally caught up with me. Seems like.EVERYONE wants to live in this part of the world. Oh people go.home ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
  7. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I have driven in the US and envy the empty roads once outside the cities,compared to us you have very little congestion.
    To me the issue is that a speed triple is designed and works best when ridden quickly , which is simply not possible for the majority of the time here,particularly in summer when the tourists descend!
    A slower bike just seems to cope better with these conditions .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    It's interesting, the 'most fun bike' thread seems to have an average size around 300cc. All depends where you live what you use the bike for. Mine is just for shitz n giggles so I try to avoid most busy places, and ice

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I seem to.gravitate to the 800-900cc range. Small.enough to handle.well, big enough to keep up with our "supersonic" traffic. I'd be afriad to ride anything under 500cc in traffic here. You have the "kamikaze" working people who run traffic lights if they can to get where they are going on time. This year I have been putting around on my old '02 America. It is still fast enough to get out on the interstate if I want to. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Yep, sorry ignore my previous comment. :confused:
    If it's not raining, it's usually snowing or hail. It really is feckin horrendous. Please don't ever come to Scotland. You'd hate it:(

• Funny x 13
    • Like x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Sounds like we'll soon have to pack our passports as well as waterproofs if we go up there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Its like being offered a Ferrari to drive, but, you can only go to Tesco.
    Total waste of a great car, impractical and expense.
    You would though wouldnt you.
    Yes its still worth it, just to ride a fantastic piece of engineering.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Most modern bikes have the capability to get you into trouble with plod. As @littleade says it is no longer that you can ride without considering dash cam footage picking up your riding. You might consider you are not being dangerous, but to a non bike riding car driver they will have a different view.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I’m getting to the stage now where even my lovely VStrom 650 feels too much. Just look at Noraly (Itchy boots on YouTube), she’s doing some amazing trips on a 400cc Royal Enfield. This is her second Himalayan and they seem robust and reliable. Why do you need 1000cc+ bikes. Perhaps I’m just an old gimmer now and should retire to my mobility scooter. ;)

Would seriously consider a Himalayan after watching Noraly.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    There are so many gorgeous roads out there that just scream out for a bit of quick riding. But then I only ride my bike for fun, not commuting, so avoid congestion wherever possible. Nothing better than the roads up on the Highlands or in Wales

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    I would agree somewhat with this quote speeder... on the odd occasion I've been down your way visiting friends I'm astonished by how rammed it is with traffic. I think I'm lucky to have a bit of space to breathe up here... while it lasts though, as you're point about speed cameras is bound to hit us sometime too.

So, with this in mind..... and the fact that I'm getting on a bit... I have sold my Tiger 800 and bought a (comfortable) sports bike :eek:

I have owned many bikes over the years, nothing too adventurous, mainly sensible upright plodders (my Tiger probably the most exciting of all) and recently thought to myself..... bollox !!!... this has to change before someone/something changes it for me. This could be my last chance to ride something that puts a smile on my face every ride.

It's a rash purchase, I know that.... I'll get sweet FA for it when I part-ex it someday... but while I can I'll have a bit of fun.

I understand your reasons for considering a traillie again though, I've had 2 great years and 15k happy miles with my Tiger... but it's had it's day and I'm moving on...... I think o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Erm,
    No...really.
    I run as my daily bike a tiger 955i....it's hard to find anywhere I can ride it to it's capacity.
    But it's nice to have lots of oomph in reserve.
    And I'm a cheapskate....I keep looking at bikes and thinking...' How much? And what exactly will this huge investment get me that I don't have now?'

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    We have some good and bad roads in Dorset, our old classics are great anytime for a bumble round but choose the right road and time of day and the Speed Twins are a hoot.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.[/QUOTE]
    I’ve been thinking the same thing, wondering if a street triple might be more fun to zip around on than my speed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I was out Tuesday afternoon in my car, due to temperature of 40-45 f. Drove out 45 miles to paved secondary roads with lots of curves out in farmland. The thing is these rural areas may have two on duty officers to patrol 300 square miles or more. This was a scouting trip to find some great bike roads, which I found with a detailed large scale gazetteer map. Seen about a dozen vehicles in about 100 miles, and only overtook one. No farming activity or school busses. Most of the straights we're run at 100 mph vision permitting. Hit 130 on a couple of sections. Google Earth is also a great tool along with the maps. Needless to say I had a blast in the Crossfire. Only one butt pucker moment in a posted 25 mph corner run at 50, had a crest and I was airborne for a few feet. Oh BTW the last performance award (violation) I got was in 1991. Law enforcement doesn't pay much attention to bikes around here, unless your doing something insanely crazy. They will turn the flashing lights to remind you to slow down, but have a no pursuit policy for sport bikes. No speed cameras, and aircraft patrols are only on main highways.

• Like Like x 7