Thruxton Is The Thruxton R A Touring Bike?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Aussie-Rhino, Feb 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aussie-Rhino

Aussie-Rhino New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Goring on Thames
    I’ve just sold off my K1300s which was my touring bike and now have just the Thruxton R in my garage

So here’s the dilemma -

Do I do some small changes to the Thruxton - fly screen, tank bag, dual seat to fit my tail pack, and gps - and make it my only bike?

Have you toured on yours? I’m 6’3” worried about all day comfort and wind.

Is it not only the greatest day out bike I’ve ever owned, or is it a great touring bike too?

Or do I add a Tiger 800 XRX to the garage?

Next trip is 5 days to Normandy beaches

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    #2 stevethegoolie, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Get the Tiger as well. The ideal number of bikes to own is actually N+1, where N is the number of bikes you already have.:cool:
    Also, don't worry about the wind causing discomfort when on your bike. Just raise an arse cheek whenever you feel the need to release excess pressure:eek: and be more careful about what you eat.:rolleyes:
    I hope you will find all the above helpful.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    If you have the resources go ahead and get the Tiger too. I had one an it was awesome for long touring. However, any bike can be a good touring bike - look what Ted Simon did with his Triumph! It's all in your mindset - remember that most of what we today consider 'necessities' weren't even conceived a decade or two ago and people did quite well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I just had a refresh look at a Thruxton and here's what I'd do. Mount a Ram ball on the handlebar for a gps (or phone), put some protective stuff over your tail and strap on your bag as-is, and have a go at it. See what you think and decide if you really want to spend the money on that fly screen/tank bag/seat for the Thruxton or spend the money on the Tiger. At the least you will have spent very little and had a fun try-out trip.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I have toured on a Suzuki GT550J, a Kawasaki Z750 twin, a BMW R100RS:eek: (okay, nobody's perfect!) and my Trident 900. The Suzi and the Kawa did not have screens, the BM had the standard fairing screen and the Trident has had a clear plastic touring screen, a Gpz type handlebar fairing and - currently - a small(ish) fly screen:confused:. Owt's better than nowt, but nowt is okay.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Only one way to find out.

Go touring on it! ;-)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    I agree with all that's said - I remember camping down in France and Italy for 3 weeks many years ago, two up on a FZ750, using tankbag + home made rack + bungees. Wife and I managed just fine! Well I has happy anyway! And I've done a lot of Europe on the FZR1000 with my knees up by my cheeks.

For my Thruxton I'm going to get the new Renntec rack this spring which looks excellent value. They also do a top box. I'll remove it all when not touring to regain the beautiful looks. Plus I can use throw-overs, and maybe get a dual seat if necessary to strap extra kit on.

Having said all that, if I could ever justify/keep/afford a second touring bike, I'd get one.

• Like Like x 2
  8. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    No! That's like putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa!:eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Aussie-Rhino

Aussie-Rhino New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Goring on Thames
    Yes any bike can tour, but
    Good grief, a top box! on my thruxton! no chance :) Pizza delivery is for scooters

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    :p:p:pAt last someone on this forum with some sense! (when it comes to TB's anyway!) ;););););)

• Like Like x 1
  11. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    I’ll be touring 2 up on my thruxton, later in the year. Using throw over panniers, I have yet to try on it. Also ordered a sports rack and gonna somehow strap my tank bag onto it. Had it for many years and only ever used it on a tank twice. Too much of a ball ache trying to lean over it and fill with fuel!

12. motomi1

motomi1 New Member

May 29, 2017
    Arizona
    Here is as much as you need to "tour"

IMG_0335.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    If you can afford a Tiger XRx then buy it if you want all day comfort. I have one (for sale, btw) and it's built for long-stretch touring. Not to say you can't kit out the Thruxton for a week away, but you'll likely be needing to stop for a stretch more often, not that that's a bad thing. As a minimum you could add side rails and strap an all-weather holdall to the back, or do the same using a rack. Motomi's panniers are def worth considering.

14. M3arch

M3arch New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    I just got a Thruxton R and saw your fly screen and bags on this post about touring. Could you share the specifics on your fly screen and bags? I'm also in AZ (Scottsdale) and your set up looks like just what I want to achieve. Any information would be appreciated.
    [email protected]

15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Even if you successfully tour on the Thruxton - buy the Tiger anyway. You can never have too many bikes! :cool:

16. motomi1

motomi1 New Member

May 29, 2017
    Arizona
    The windscreen is a Dart Marlin, The bags and mounting system are Hepco and Becker sold by Moto Machines and I put a Kaoko throttle lock on it as well as a plug and play electronic tail light flasher. Two things you need to do: new horn and reverse your Monza gas tank cap, both are easy and improve the bike a tad. The tank pads came from A&J Cycles.

17. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Toy ring on a TTR? No problem

IMG_0024.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Supposed to say touring o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    As you are tall, I think you would find crambusters useful on the longer trips

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

20. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    You can certainly tour on anything! I rode my '98 Honda Hornet 600 from the UK to the far side of the Czech Republic a couple of years ago; camped along the way; maxed out on the Autobahn a couple of times; had the bike in its element in the Swiss and Austrian mountains; lost all track of date and time; and generally had a complete blast. 80 miles on a tank when using the horses (prounced fuel consumption step above 7,000RPM) and 130 miles when not - by when I was ready for a break anyway. I pick up my Thruxton R in a couple of weeks and look forwards to a Czech ride on it next year. :)

21. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    You are going to love it:yum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1