Is T140v Or E Better?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Alestorm, Oct 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alestorm

Alestorm New Member

Oct 31, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Everyone,

Many years ago I used to own a 1978 T140V and I'm now hoping to get another T140 but am not sure what model to look for, 'V' or 'E'. I'm familiar with the mk1 Amal carbs and points ignition, all of which worked well on my 'V', but I know very little about the 'E' with mk2 Amal's and electronic ignition. Are there any advantages or disadvantages with these different carburettors and ignition setups? I've heard that there is a slight performance loss with the mk 2's and that the electronic ignition is expensive to replace if it fails and offers no real advantage over points, but I'd be grateful for some more opinions on this please.

Also, I've been told that some of the early T140V's had gearbox and/ or clutch issues that were sorted out in the later models from around 1976 onwards? Is this correct and is a model from '76 onwards the best to look for.

Many thanks for any replies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    No experience, but you mentioned experience to replace. My key is go for what’s cheaper to maintain. Since you know one already and I assume liked it, it would be my choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Alestorm
    All pretty good bikes. Most people fit the boyer ignition on the Bonnies anyway better starting and cleaner running. The MRK2 Amals need a lot of work mainly those chokes you have to dump them and convert back to cable operated chokes. Welcome to the family by the way.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alestorm

Alestorm New Member

Oct 31, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Thanks for the info and the welcome.

5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Earlier bikes are better from a point of working on them and far more parts availability.

• Like Like x 1