Is She Saveable?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PaulD, Oct 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PaulD

PaulD New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Manchester
    Hi All,

I was unlucky enough to lose the back end exiting a round about yesterday and dropped my D600 :(

As per the pics, I have dented the frame and ripped almost everything off the right side of the bike.
    Due to the dent in the frame is she actually worth rebuilding or is it only good for parts now?

Helmet visor is done for but not sure if you can risk re-using a helmet at all? Looks like just pat scraped off just under the visor

22883980_10155225909597809_395990823_o.jpg

23030691_10155225909607809_1115045980_o.jpg

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    As far as general repairs are concerned it mostly appears to be cosmetic damage which will be repairable fairly easily but costly dependant on the s/h parts you can pick up. If you can do the reassembly yourself it should keep costs to a reasonable level.

However FIRST you need to get someone who can put hands and eyes on the frame & bike as a whole to evaluate whether or not it is straight and repairable.

From the pictures the frame looks to have minor damage that wouldn't worry me personally, BUT being there and seeing the whole thing is a totally different situation than seeing a few pictures.

Get it checked out by someone competent before you go any further !!

PS: Bin the Lid, once its been down its finished, a NEW cheappie is a safer bet because its your life !!

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. PaulD

PaulD New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Manchester
    Cheers for the reply. Atm bike won't start, as you can imagine I'm not in the best of shapes to be checking it out in detail atm.
    I have a friends dad who is able to check the frame for me.
    Initial look shows rear brake and foot peg snapped off. Headlight and every right side fairing broken, wing mirror gone, indicator gone, engine case and exhaust badly damaged

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Subject to inspection and the bike and frame being OK !

I would suggest that looking at the pics there is nothing badly damaged as all the parts you mention are replaceable.

Unless the engine casing is cracked or worn through and leaking then it is still serviceable ( not pretty but replaceable later ) same goes for the exhaust

In your shoes now I would start checking round for s/h parts prices so you can put it back on the road, Subject to the Frame / bike being ok !

At least then you will have a realistic cost idea for repairs.

At the end of the day you are the one who will decide if its cost effective to repair and put back on the road or not, unless of course you are putting it through your insurance in which case its a write off due to the cost of the new parts!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PaulD

PaulD New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Manchester
    Thanks Everyone.
    Once I'm more mobile I'll assess the damage fully and start pricing it up.

The frame is dented not just scraped so I will get this checked out.

Anyone have any idea what the bike would be worth in current condition if I decide not to rebuild it myself?
    Had a look online but can't find any crash damaged D600s

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Is that a leak in the tank?

7. PaulD

PaulD New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Manchester
    I have fully comp insurance but very high excess and if I ride again soon it'll cost me too much to insure. Only have 1 yr no claims.
    Don't think it is a leak in the tank but does anyone know what this piece of metal could be from? It was among the debris but I dont think it's from the bike.
    Pic of helmet too

20171029_125434.jpg

20171029_125439.jpg

20171029_125450.jpg

20171029_125503.jpg

8. PaulD

PaulD New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Manchester
    All revolves around this frame then.
    I do have another helmet. Just a shame since I only recently bought this one and felt much more comfortable with it.
    I'm wondering if that chunk of metal is what caused me to drop the bike.

9. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    no matter what damage there is to bike imho i would dump your helmet,even if it looks useable you won't see any weakness caused by crash,decent helmets under a ton sportsbikeshop about the best there is for helmets and other stuff used them several times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Frame is an easy repair so long as it runs parallel with a ‘good’ tank. It’s a case of manipulation with the use of an ally welder and good metalwork skills.

• Like Like x 1
  11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Do you need a V5 with the frame?
    If so, need to (re)register and move everything over to the new frame & reg plate, and transfer your insurance.
    A damaged frame would usually mean a cat B breaker as far as insurance is concerned.
    Your new damaged helmet is not wasted, they make good flower planters!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1