Is Our Justice System Failing

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wessa, Nov 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    So she has served 7 years for killing 6 children, equivalent to 1 year and 2 months for each life! - It is beyond belief! :mad:

Especially when you consider that in Scotland they are trying to implement a law which could result in a prison term of up to 7 years for using hurty words.

The world really has gone totally mad! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You can never judge these things from newspapers alone. The story telling is often designed to inflame more than inform.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Tim Stich

Tim Stich Well-Known Member

May 25, 2020
    Colorado Springs, CO USA
    It sounded like the father of five of the children poured the gas and set the fire, so she didn't do the actual deed. I would like to hear more of the story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I suspect that is why she is out.... an inadequate personality in thrall to a PoS who pulled a crazy stunt with deeply tragic consequences. She likely has a remorse of which he is totally incapable.

I am FAR more angry about police behaviour and outrageous double standards policing genuinely peaceful protesters with violence and petting the real thugs on bender knee.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yes the husband was clearly the evil filth that was primarily responsible However it still doesn't change the fact that she was found guilty of being complicit in the deaths of six children, and sentenced to 17 years for manslaughter and is out after only serving 7 years, which is less than half of the original sentence. Stupidity and poor judgement of partners are not mitigating factors in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Fairly unfortunate choice of words, there, Cal!

It is easy to feel aggrieved about both the sentence and the relative brevity of it - especially if you've seen any of the documentaries about her and her husband - Mick Philpott. The whole thing was a poorly planned and badly executed (pun very much intended) attempt to gain more media coverage and a bigger/better council house. She wasn't exactly a pawn in Philpott's bigger game but she was very definitely under his violent control so deserves some small crumb of empathy.

He, however, deserves to spend much longer incarcerated than the minimum tariff 15 years he was given and, I suspect, it's only the nuances- and difficulties - of our criminal justice system that led to a manslaughter rather than murder charge.

If there is an eternal afterlife, let's hope his is spent in eternal pain.

p.s. you can find one of the documentaries on MY5 https://www.channel5.com/show/philpott-housefire-the-truth/

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep you are right. But I still think she should serve her time..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Actually today is irony day.....you spotted it. See spokes thread on unspoken.."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I have sat through enough trials to know that a few column inches or 20 secs to camera tells you b***** all about the deeper context.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Er, she has. All prisoners sentenced like her get 50% remission. You have to misbehave not to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Wor lass did the ironing in the living room today because I was assembling flat pack furniture in the kitchen :)
    Ooooh the irony :joy::p

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Normal service has been resumed!:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yes I got a surprise when I did jury service, it was shocking just how gullible most of the jurors were, and how they were incapable of distinguishing between actual factual evidence and supposition, and they had little comprehension of the consequence of their actions.

I know that it is the norm these days to only serve a half sentence, but my issue with this case is that she was found guilty and sentenced, regardless of how controlling and abusing her husband may have been, it was the lives of her six children... and as for him, he should have got a sentence for each of the 6 lives he was responsible for.

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sentencing is a purely judicial decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    She is 3 years short unless she spent three years waiting for her trail ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    This, all day long.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    On a 17year sentence she would only get a third remission, half remission is only given to those with an 8years or less sentence. Manslaughter usually carries a life sentence but with a shorter tarrif than a murder sentance. I don't have any sympathy for either of those murdering scum bags leave them to rot in prison at least the public are safe from them while they remain banged up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Very true, but the original question was about “Is our justice system failing?”
    No, probably not... but it feels wrong.
    This woman was found guilty of her part in the killing of 6 children. She is out of prison 7 years later. Presumably the sentence passed by the judge falls within a degree of guidance from historical cases or some written parameters... but to the unenlightened bloke like myself, this seems like a light judgement for someone involved with the planning and “actioning” such a reckless and mind-bogglingly stupid plan for self-betterment.
    I don’t know what another 7 years in jail would actually achieve; or how these terms are arrived at (presumably some attempt of reducing the prison’s population)... But the youngest lad would have been only 12 now, in my head I feel that she shouldn’t be out until he would have been 18! That way the sentence kinda means something... I do understand that it’s some kind of idealist notion, but that’s how my head works

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Yes, it certainly is failing.
    Magistrates courts closures, prosecution by camera, fixed or mobile, fixed penalty notice or nothing.

• Agree Agree x 3