Is Life In Prison Fair Punishment?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Dec 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thought I'd shift a bit of the controversial heat off the Brexit and Harley-Davidson discussions and on to a new topic. Or perhaps just add another topic to the fire.

What do you all think?? Is life in prison a fair punishment for distracted drivers? I've included a link to the full article from Revzilla's "Common Tread" blog along with a poll.

prison.png
    https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/new-legislation-equals-life-in-prison-for-distracted-drivers?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=11/29/2019_CT&utm_term=Common Tread | Combined

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

It depends on where you reside Sandy, a life sentence in the UK is 15 years, but with good behaviour in prison you would only serve a third of your sentence and be out in 5 years, I am led to believe a life sentence in the USA is, you die in prison, please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The article is 2 years old but I'm not really sure where they got their facts from Sandi, max sentence is still 14 years over here. Methinks they are trying to court controversy but without any real facts. At best there may have been a petition to change the law but nothing has come of it ;);)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    After reading your post, David, I did a little checking. It sounds like a "life sentence" in the UK and the US is perhaps not so different. Whether the life imprisonment sentence is determinate or indeterminate along with whether there's the possibility of parole seems to be the key. And, as with many things in the US, what state one lives in makes a different too. Once again I learn something new because of this forum most every day!

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 1.34.05 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

You can also be sentenced to life in the UK, with a minimum sentence of whatever the Judge decides, I'ts very complicated, in my own view I would hang anybody who took some one else's life needlessly

0116hang.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Here's the short story on my home state of Arizona's take on "life sentence".

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 1.55.32 PM.png

Related to a distracted driver killing a motorcyclist, it looks those who do that can skate by because they can argue they didn't "knowingly and intentionally cause the death of a person" and that is wasn't "premeditated". Tell that to the loved ones and friends or the person who died. To me this seems like the "stay out of jail free" card when in reality the driver's behavior (texting, reading, putting on makeup, turning around to smack the kids) indicates they don't really care about others out on the road and that they're diving when can become a lethal weapon.

But of course, as with most legal things, it seems it becomes incredibly complex. Seem to matter whether or not there is a vehicle involved. Again, no comfort whatsoever for the dead motorcyclists' family and loved ones. :(:mad: I'm now down the rabbit hole on this. Guess I put myself there. :joy:

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 2.04.31 PM.png

Here are some basic differences between the UK and the US.

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 2.04.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 2.03.53 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    On the fence with this one.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Good though very tragic example of why at times it can depend on the circumstances, DD.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I hate cell phone drivers! Or any other totally distracted driver.

Distractions are many though, as duck pointed out. Screaming kids in back seat, scenery, etc the list goes on.

So all those who drive setting on the edge of the seat, their 100% total concentration intently scanning please raise their hand.

I guess on the bike I might approach 95%.

Big ass caravan 90%.

Car 80% maybe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I have a very similar story to DD’s involving my dad.
    Many years ago he killed a little girl who ran out from between some parked cars and it almost ruined his life. He very nearly lost his job, marriage and his mental health because of the tragic accident which was not his fault and totally unavoidable. He was cleared of any wrongdoing and even the little girl’s parents came to see him to assure him that he wasn’t at fault.

As DD says, he didn’t deserve to go to prison for this but it’ll haunt him for the rest of his life. A self inflicted sentence perhaps.

It’s situations like this that make me wonder why drivers can be so selfish and thoughtless as to distract themselves with mobile phones while driving.
    Nothing is so important that it can’t wait until you’re stopped/parked.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  11. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I would hate to be in a predicament where someone loses a life due to my driving. It makes me feel ill if I even hit an animal or stupid bird ( them darn pheasants just comit suicide on my car, van and even my chest when on the bike)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Pheasants are bloody dangerous!
    A guy I worked with was killed on his bike by a pheasant hitting his helmet and breaking his neck.
    A tragic accident, but bikers often make light of these circumstances.
    A week after this accident I was at a local bike stop having a brew when the police turned up and were asking bikers to slow down because of what happened. My ex missus turned round to the copper and said “I hope you’re going to go and tell the pheasants to slow down too’” :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I was a high mileage commuter for 25 years. I also drove a 2 axle truck professionally for.some.years.before I went back to college in mid-life. SO easy to be distracted. To be a little off that day. To have the boss calling you, etc. A life.sentence is a life sentence for the for the offenders family.as.well. I remember many mornings.leaving home with not enough sleep and literally praying to God to get me home safe. Fortunately, I never injured or killed anyone. Just trying to feed my family. I sympathize with those who have lost love ones in accidents. I know that pain. You are NEVER the same. Do.we want to extend.that pain to the families of those who made some.mistakes in judgement ? MAYBE, in some cases. Be we need to be careful not.to be spreading the pain, and life sentence further. …J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I was unfortunately involved in hitting a child with my car. The car in front pulled up to let their passenger out, the child took this as an all clear to cross the road. I pulled out and the child stepped out into the path of my car. Luckily I was only going slowly (1959 Hillman Minx), at the time. My vision was completely shielded by the parked car.
    Child not seriously injured, just scuffed and bruised, but so easily have been much worse.
    Police found nobody at fault, but had the child died, should I have been imprisoned for the rest of my life ??? I was 20 years old and could be looking at 60 years in prison:eek:

Premeditated murder should mean life, but vehicular deaths don't deserve a blanket life sentence.

IMHO.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I was once in a car with somebody who had the phone in his pocket. It started ringing, he pulled it out of his pocket and went to answer it.

I'm afraid I took it off him and threw it out of the window. (it was in the days before smartass phones). He went mental! Told me I could get out and walk, it might have been an important call!

I said that nothing is that important to risk killing yourself or someone else, and if he was prepared to do that, I'd rather walk anyway. Which I did.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    My motorcyclist brother was killed by a dangerous driver. Simon was one week away from his 19th birthday. My mum never fully recovered from the shock and effectively served a life sentence, she died 35 years later, still broken. The driver is still alive. Given the right circumstances, I would still pursue him and rip his head off. So, yes, a life sentence is my vote.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    My best mate was killed by a polish driver pulling out of a T junction. The driver got a £1000.00 fine and 6 month ban. This nearly finished his mother off, he will never see his daughter flourish in the future - really boils my pee.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    It's really sad and I suppose nothing can fix it. My experience is of a close family friend that killed his father in the passenger seat after falling asleep at the wheel.

I struggle with this and doubt there are any of us that have not done something at the controls which could have lead to a death. Speeding, used a phone, corner to fast, drive feeling unwell, tired, stressed or angry. I suspect every time we ride we make mistakes that on another day could have killed someone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The reason we have courts is because you cannot legislate for every situation. We even charge the taking of a life differently depending on the circumstances. Moreover the courts administer ‘justice’ not vengeance and justice is itself a flexible concept.

We disagree as individuals on the appropriate punishment for the same offence. As to the question, you might as well ask the length of a piece of string........

• Agree Agree x 5