Is It The Coils?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dirty big hands, Apr 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    I had problems starting my '98 TBS yesterday, it's been firing up fine all winter but took a good while before bursting into life yesterday.
    Then, once warm, it cut out as I came to a stop a couple of times and again took a while to fire up.
    I had stopped and restarted it a couple of times without issues between times.
    Also, there's been a slight hesitation/delayed throttle response for a while now. It feels like it bogs down before the revs pick up.
    Is this the coils, and the starting problems are the coils getting worse?
    Any advice would be appreciated, as I have no idea, other than reading whatever pops up from an internet search.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    How old is the fuel? The most volatile fractions will have evaporated off over winter making for harder starting and slightly reluctant running.

Any obvious misfire?

3. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Fuel was 2 weeks old.
    I wouldn't describe it as a misfire (burning guess it could be), more a hesitation when opening the throttle.
    Seems fine above 4k revs.

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Let it run for 12 mins, or untill the fan kicks in, after starting, without touching the throttle. That resets ECU

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Failing ECU reset it sounds suspiciously like the symptoms I had with a Gill coil on its way out on my Bonnie. Since you have three coils the trick is to buy one replacement and identify the culprit by substitution. PVL 1290007 is the one you want.

6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Cutting out when hot and re-starting only after cooling down for a while are classic symptoms of a failing crank position sensor, which is not unknown. But I've not heard of it affecting cold starting so other causes should be considered, as per the above suggestions.

7. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Cool, I'll give this a try. I assume it's OK to use the choke?

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Absolutely. Only affects your carburation. Both the coil and crank sensor are coils with very fine copper windings. Over time they are prone to break but often go intermittent before total failure. The coils proper provide each cylinder with their spark while the sensor sends a pulse to the ECU to trigger each spark at the appropriate point of rotation.

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I should have said from cold.

10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Give it a goodly slug of Redex or similar which will clean out the fuel system especially the carbs which may have a bit of muck in them. My Trident was hesitant on its first ride out after winter lay-up a few years ago:(. A dose of Redex cleared it within a very few miles:). Can't do any harm!

11. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Thank you gentlemen.
    A bit of reading up and thought makes me think that it could be the crank position sensor.
    If it was a coil, surely it would still run but on 2 cylinders? Not cut out completely. Or would it?
    This sensor doesn't look as easy to replace as the coils though!

12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You might think so but they can stutter inconsistently before dying for good. Got a multimeter? If you unplug the crank sensor lead under the side cover/adjacent the battery/air box you should get just under 600 ohms resistance from one side to the other. If you cannot locate the connector dress making pins through each lead will get you in. Tape up holes afterwards. Likewise each coil should measure something like 18k ohms from plug lead socket to the grounding earth where it mounts to the frame.

A ‘1’ (infinity) is open circuit and your culprit but sometimes only substitution provides definite proof. The crank sensor is the easiest place to start. It certainly sounds like a coil acting up as it gets warm.

13. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex

Would one coil acting up cause it to cut out completely?
    It only happened when I came to a stop, just died instead of idling. And then took a while to fire up again. But not so long that it had cooled down.

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    No. That is a big, fat, wagging finger pointing at the pickup coil.

15. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
  16. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Does anyone know, or able to find, the correct air gap for the pickup coil?
    I can't find it anywhere!

17. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Thank you.
    I've set it at 0.75mm, which appears to have been a perfect guess!
    Ride in the morning to see if it's cured the problem.
    The old one was over 1mm, not sure what effect that might of had.

18. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Only for efi bikes. A TBS only has an igniter not an ECU and does not do adaption

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    So.....
    Started perfectly from cold, very little amount of choke needed. Ran smooth until warmed up, then was a bit hesitant/lumpy at low revs occasionally. Not sure if I should just get new coils too. Or if it'd just a characteristic of an 20 year old carbed bike.
    Seems to have cured the stalling issue though, and started fine when warm.