Is It Me Or Is My Brain Playing Tricks

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by In my own world, Apr 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Done a good few mods and upgrades since buying my Tiger 1050 a few months back. All had done what there are supposed to but others am not too sure about. The first noticed a difference is with the SW Moto rad/oil guard. Since fitted i have noticed the temperature gauge on the clocks runs a segment higher and the fan comes on more. The other is not sure if it is classed as an upgrade but I filled up with Shell "V" power petrol and now it doesn't run as smooth as before. Does this petrol have cleaning additives?. My son filled his car with the same at another garage and found his car ran lumpy. But having gone back to cheap fuel his car now runs fine. Could these 2 things just in my mind and playing tricks on me.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Logically a guard may slightly impede radiator airflow.......

I have no idea whether your bike’s electronics would notice higher octane fuel.

3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Have you tried going back to the original fuel you were using?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Am still have over 3/4 of a tank full. I noticed the rough running after 20 miles. After this, i will be going back to the cheap supermarket stuff

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I would siphon of the fuel and fill with the cheaper full. If this fixes the problem you can add the old fuel in small amounts so it does not go to waste....

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Does anyone know if others had the same problem as me regarding the fuel?

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The bike is designed to run on 91 octane. Putting 99 octane in it will not improve performance. Octane is needed for high compression engines where detonation/pre-ignition is otherwise an issue. I would be far more inclined to suspect fuel contamination, especially water, where you refuelled. Without clever electrics that tune the mapping I think you are wasting money on V power etc. Your lambda sensor/ECU is set to protect the catalytic converter and pass emissions and not much else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I only thought that i'll try it because on bike forums people have said it gives better MPG plus their bikes ran better.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    That is maybe in the realms of ‘is it me or is my brain playing tricks’!

Confirmatory bias or a dyno?!

10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    When I was a young Tom, I was sitting in a vehicle monitoring radios at 2am when my boss looked at me and said "Are those lights dim or is it just me?"

No words escaped my lips.......honest :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1