Is Ethanol The Only Issue With Plastic Tanks?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by StuarT595, Mar 26, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    I have a pristine painted tank which actually fits, and only has blisters underneath and on the ‘sump,’ zero are on show! Lucky I know!
    Plan is to line it this winter, and my question is:
    IF I only ever use Ethanol-free fuel, which is available from ESSO in the UK West Country, will that eradicate all of the horrors we read about...swelling, paint blisters, etc.?
    Does anyone 100% know for sure?

2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Standard unleaded already contains 5% ethanol which causes no problem but E10 (10%) is set to become the standard unleaded offering later this year with the exception of "Superunleaded". Personally, I'd just fit the tank and not worry about it. Laying up vehicles for long periods is more of an issue with high ethanol fuel.

• Like Like x 3
  3. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    I guess I couldn’t stand it to see an unsightly blister on the tank, especially if I can fill up with ethanol-free (if this is indeed the issue), which I easily can. It’s whether that will stop the blisters (already present on my tank, but out of sight) from creeping up the tank?

Below is the fuel I can get, and would happily pay for it IF it eradicates the issues?

Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99

4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Ethanol is known to cause alcoholism in humans. The difference is that plastic tanks don’t get punchy or argumentative after a high ethanol lunch, lose their memory or throw up in their girlfriends mouth.

None of which have ever happened to me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Unfortunately even 5% does cause problems, ask anyone who owns a Gen 1 Aprilia (or probably any other bike with a plastic tank). Swelling and or blisters, 10% will only make the situation worse :(

6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    My Husaberg has a plastic tank with no issues. It looks and feels like a type of dense polythene of the sort 5 gallon drums are made of. If you stick your nose against it you can smell fuel so there is some vapour migration but structurally it's fine. All cars made since 2011 are supposed to be able to use fuel containing ethanol without any problems, not sure if that applies to bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    My 2005 Sprint ST 1050 has a plastic tank. No real issues, other than always awkward to refit when removed.

I've only owned it since March 2020, so very few miles added. It is such fun, I plan to keep it long term and simply get any significant issues fixed.

• Like Like x 1