Is 480 Miles Feasible?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Fourbears, Dec 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I have the opportunity next June to partake of a small tour of Scotland. The full tour is 7 days but I have to be back home for the 6th June. It is going to be based in Fort William which is about 480 miles from home. Has anyone done this sort of distance in a day? If I do it over 2 days it means I go up with the group for 2 days then come back on my own over two days but I'd rather stay the 3rd day up there. I'm not averse to big mileage but I'm none too sure of how easy it is to cover the miles in Scotland from Fort William via Loch Lomond/Glasgow to get the bulk of it done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well I've done that sort of distance in a day, but it is hard work, easier on a comfy tourer than a naked sportster, but even if you can average 80mph it is 6 hours and that is without any fuel/coffee/food stops.
    Realistically you aren't going to average 80mph, I would imagine you are looking at 10 hours of saddle time, what you have to ask is, can I hack it?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I have a Sprint ST so reasonable in the comfort stakes! Yes that is the question. Guess I'll have to practice getting miles in which seems a reasonable excuse to do a few rides!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i would only do that sort of mileage if i didn't have a choice,it's differant if you were on the Autobahn, but on the roads in the UK i'd do it over 2 days

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I have done that sort of mileage on several occaisions before and getting in some distance rides is a sound plan up to around half the distance or better non-stop if you can.

You will need to push on with sensible breaks for food & toilets but averaging 50mph for the whole trip is do-able.

Plan your return ride route back budgeting time for your stops and refuelling points will take away some of the strain of running low on fuel at times when weather is bad or youre fatigued when your judgement isnt at its best.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    The problem with such long distances can be more mental than physical after 8 hours are your reactions and safety going to be up to speed ? Falling asleep or losing concentration not worth the risk IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yep I'd pretty much agree, I did Samoens in the French Alps back to Calais which is 500 miles plus on a Superduke 990, no fairings and a plank for a seat, so was well a truly fecked by the time we got there, did E Routes nearly all the way as time was precious. We were sat between 85-95 most of the way, any faster just sapped energy too quick, walked like John Wayne for a week after!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    @Fourbears said

**I have a Sprint ST so reasonable in the comfort stakes! Yes that is the question. Guess I'll have to practice getting miles in which seems a reasonable excuse to do a few rides! **

Riding a faired bike is a much different deal than riding a naked bike so no real comparison between the two ................. with practice it is well within the capabilities of most riders, and sensible planning takes some of the issues & decisions out of the equation for the return run.
    I have done several runs of up to 500 miles at a time on consecutive weeks when practicing for longer runs on the R1100RT.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    And just for clarification ............ the practice rides were all done within the South of Ireland so the UK should be less of an issue.

• Like Like x 3
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've done 600 mls in a day on my GS's but I did feel pretty much f*cked when I got home. SE France to Northampton.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If you want to enjoy yourself break the journey. You might flog home in a oner but from Norfolk I would aim on Day 1 to stop on the Northern edge of Glasgow. The holiday proper then starts as you head off for Fort William. You might even take the Dunoon ferry (bikes slip up the queue) and go via roads rather less full of cars and caravans.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Thats a long day I did 370 last year. on a Tiumph GT, comfort wasnt the issue it was tiredness and with breaks, and coffee, and motorways, it still took 10 hours easily. It always takes longer than Google says it will.
    Leave a day early ,book a hostel, 20 quid, and if you dont need it, cancel, press on and have a day to recover.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That might be your only issue. Once you get out of Norfolk and hit the motorways you’ll be able to cover the miles quite quickly but I wouldn’t be looking at trying to get too high an average, take into account the plethora of average speed cameras and keep it realistic. Me and a pal did 500 miles in Spain last year, got off the ferry at 7.45am and were south of Valencia having a beer with my mate before 6pm, and it wasn’t all motorway riding.

• Like Like x 4
  15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Did Fort William to Pontefract (W.Yorks) on the Trident many moons ago in around 7 hours (2 up with luggage). Goole to Norwich in a 44 tonne truck takes just over 4hours (before they raised the max speed on single carriageway roads to 50mph). On a bike you're probably looking at around 10 - 11 hours, depending on where you are in Norfolk.
    Be prepared to break your journey, especially if the weather is a bit iffy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    Why on earth would you want to leave Norfolk anyway!?

17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You guys talk of 450 to 600 KLM days as being big rides ! I did from the Nullarbor(SA) fuel stop to Geraldton WA in one day on a late 70's model GSX750, that's around 1300/1400 klms ! Starting at 4 am (about) and finished after 9 pm ! I was only 20 at the time.. but since then I have done quite a few days rides of around the 1000 klms mark on various bike's , mostly two up, the SA to WA ride was solo. I've done 5,000 odd klms in 7 days, Northam WA to Bundaberg QLD in 2011 on my Triumph Bonneville America, did it two up and towing a 200 odd kg camper trailer !!
    Planning made all those long rides possible, plan your stop's, for fuel/food/rest and especially your overnight stays !!!
    Traveling big miles in Australia is easier than England and Europe, as there are fewer towns causing slower speeds and extreme fatigue, but you have to be able to access help, fuel,water etc which isn't as available !

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Yes it's possible.

I did Fort William back to Birmingham in one hit a few years back. I would have been in my mid 40's at the time. I had originally planned a stop over in Carlisle ( half distance ). It rained for the whole journey, so I couldn't be arsed to stop and ploughed on straight home. That was on an old 955 tiger.

Have done the odd 500 mile day in France too when I needed to. Generally don't like to exceed 250 mile these days.

Make the most of your fuel stops, i.e. fuel up, have some food and coffee and a good stretch. Warm up and dry out before starting off again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I did Skye to Bedford in a day this summer on a Tiger XC after leaving Dougie’s Scottish tour. That’s 539 miles, 10 hours per Google Maps.

Left at 4am and had glorious weather, cold at first but became lovely. Was VERY tired by 9am and had to stop just South of Glasgow for 30 minutes as I was struggling to stay awake. Felt much better after tea and a bacon sarnie in the sun.

I had booked an overnight at Penrith just in case, but felt ok as I went past at 11.30 so I decided to just keep going.

Made sure I had several more stops and made it home c4pm.

So it’s doable, but hard. Comfort (knees) was hardest part.

• Like Like x 3
  20. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    did Sachsenring to Portsmouth in one day 740miles or so on a R 1 so you shouldn't have a prob

• Like Like x 2
  21. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The key difference is the roads and traffic volumes. I did S of France to N Germany in one hop on a BMW R100RS in 1982 (900 miles/1450 mms) but that was about the physical limit of my backside! The UK extremities are full of slowish roads with agricultural and holiday traffic and no road trains!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2