Featured Investment Paid Off

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by deaks25, Jan 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    #1 deaks25, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    I bought my '05 Sprint 1050 in Oct 2017 and I'm happy to admit, she was a bit of a spontaneous purchase as I'd wanted a Sprint for a few years. Just shy of 40k on the clock, few accessories including pannier racks for £2k was either going to be bargain of the century or a pup.

Sadly, it was the latter. First the tyres ran out very quickly, the Oxford heated grip controller was dead, the pannier rails were fitted, but not the stabiliser bits were missing & then the regulator died. After insta-killing a second regulator, I investigated & found the alternator was fried & then she killed ANOTHER regulator through excess heat (Positioning the reg on a bracket attached to the engine casing is NOT clever Triumph!).

On top of that, the rear hub had ceased, & been shredded by the previous owner, which meant a replacement needed to be fitted. Final issue was the rear brake calliper was binding, which meant that needed to be stripped & cleaned.

All of this has meant the bike has eaten through about £1k & 5 trips to a mechanic since I bought it, but I LOVE the bike & when she went for her MOT on Saturday, I came away with a spotless MOT & a few words of approval as to how good the bikes condition is, which I was really pleased to hear. She's up to 50k on the clock now, but given that she is 14 years old, that is not bad.

There's going to be a lot less commuting this year so the mileage wont rise as fast, but we've now settled into a very happy relationship after a rocky start.

• Like Like x 16
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Glad you two have finally fallen in love.:heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    It was always love at first sight for me, the bike had a few issues from previous relationships to work out :joy:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yeah, but that’s quite a lot of antibiotics :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. mglemans86

mglemans86 New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    I've had an 05 Sprint from new and my regulator just went at around 45k. I guess i should check the alternator first. My sprag clutch went while under warranty. Plastic fuel tank replaced twice by Mothership. I'd certainly check that all recalls were done. One of the critical ones was a faulty bolt in the rear suspention linkage. if the bolt breaks suspension collapses.

6. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    I've not had any issues with the tank, in fact my mindset is pretty much converted to the idea that plastic is the better option as other bikes I've owned have had internal rusting issues.

Not issues with the sprag clutch either. The bike doesn't have the service book, but I've had a mechanic who previously worked at Triumph give the bike a serious inspection (That was its first trip into a garage after I bought it way back in 2017)

The alternator is an easy test; all you need is a multimeter that can read ohms & is tested via the connectors for the regulator. You do three tests on the connector to the alternator (Worth looking up the specifics as I'd need to remind myself), if they give different readings, then the alternator is going/gone. I gather it's a design flaw that causes it to overheat & eventually fail.

My next spend out is on new heated grips as I think the current ones are faulty (one doesn't heat up & may have even caused the last regulator to blow, was fine until I connected them back in) & source the stabilisers that should've been fitted when the pannier rails were installed, but the moron who fitted them didn't bother.

Also going to get the wheels re-coated as the current coating is flaking off.

Last thing is I would LOVE the TOR exhaust. I won't swap out the triple exhaust (I know, I know, it's just three holes in the single silencer, but it looks soooo cool!), but would like a little bit more volume as the noise it makes is lovely :heart_eyes: No need to turn it into an Angry-Shouty bike as my '89 CBR 600 already does that.

As you can tell, I do genuinely love the Sprint :heart:

• Like Like x 1
  7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Glad you sorted it all out and have a much loved bike. It's even better now that you know everything has been done and you will enjoy many many more miles.

Once I traveled all the way to Edinburgh to pick up a GSXR 1000 K6. When I got there, the bike looked bad... Rusted bolts... Scratches... Rusty chain etc. The owner said it was mint hence I took his word and made the journey. Anyways I bought the bike for a little less than what we originally agreed. I spent a lot of time and money working on her. By the time I fixed everything she was a real head turner. I ended up selling her for a lot more than I initially invested. I had a great time on that bike. There was never a dull moment.

• Like Like x 2