Interphone & Google Maps

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by DH88UK, May 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    So I've got myself a nice Interphone sport, it works fine for receiving calls, playing music and talking to my riding buddies (although the range of 1km is absolute bull).

The problem I can't figure out the answer to is using Google maps while riding. If I setup the route on my phone I can hear the voice command tell me to take the first road or whatever through the Interphone, so I know the Bluetooth is working, but as soon as I lock the screen to put the phone in my pocket, the navigation stops.

I've tried all the Bluetooth settings, 'leave phone unlocked when Bluetooth is connected' and on maps 'voice commands over Bluetooth' etc but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve got an Interphone Tour set and haven’t had any problems with google maps working on my iPhone X.
    Although I tend to have my phone mounted on the bars rather than having voice commands, I have used it the way you describe successfully.
    Sounds more like a phone issue such as the permissions to allow location services while the app is used.

3. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    Tried this on a hire car and had exactly the same issue, voice commands works fine when the phone is open but when locked it stops so clearly a phone config issue somewhere ...

4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Go to Settings, Google Maps, Notifications and check that it’s set up as below. These settings work on my iPhone.

E04E94C2-BADF-495D-B30D-FCA5B134963F.jpeg

5. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    Mine is Android so the menus are different but I think I found that the problem is, when the screen is locked after about a minute the navigating is stopped, maps is still running but now waiting for you to start the navigation again.

I just found a setting in battery saver options that Google maps was on the list of apps to 'never run in the background' so I guess the battery saver is putting maps to sleep after a minute.

Removed Google maps from the blacklist and tried it again and was still running after 5 mins of screen locked :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Ah, so there was your problem. You’re running Android :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire