Thruxton Intermittent Starting Issue.

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by tappers, May 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tappers

tappers Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    #1 tappers, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    i have an intermittent starting problem on my 2015 thruxton,i watched a fellow triumph owner attempt to start his 900 bonneville the other week, he pressed the starter button,nothing,it didn't turn over,he was in disbelief,paused then said to me that's strange, it's always started 1st time,he said the only thing i've done is had OXFORD HEATED GRIPS fitted by a triumph dealer,yesterday a bloke on a 900 thruxton went to start his & he had the same problem, the same as i have,i checked the battery voltage & it was 13.16 volts so it isn't bellow 12.6 volts.surely triumph know about this issue.i've seen on here there are a few owners with the same issue's.where to go from here to get it rectified.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I have a 2012 Bonnie EFI which I love.
    The 'on a knife edge' starting is the only thing I dislike about the bike.
    Apparently the ECU is set so fine that the starter motor armature fails to contact unless all 'signals' are perfect.
    Like you I've checked the voltages etc. and cover 40 miles per day commuting but it's always in the back of my mind that I'm going get the dreaded 'click'
    One guy on the Triumph Rat forum has fitted a little push button to the armature to override the ECU when required, I always swear to do the same every time it 'clicks' but haven't got round to it yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Had a 2010 Bonnie SE, previous owner had fitted a gizmo to keep headlight off until started, then press of dip brought headlamp on, maybe that's why? I was always glad of it. Moved up to 1975 Bonnie now, kickstart of course..although it is now possible to fit electric start. Just thought I'd mention gizmo, I was happy with anything to help maximum volts cold engine etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Yes, that was another mod I forgot to mention.
    Headlamp on full and getting the dreaded ' click' infuriates me.
    How I would love a kickstart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    if this is a known problem, why is there not a recall on the 865 bonneville's /thruxton's to get this sorted.i may push this forward to see what there reply is.i should like to think there are many owner's have gone to there dealers to let them know regarding the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Good luck Tappers.
    I would imagine unless it happens from brand new, most people find a way to cope.
    1) armature button
    2) headlight switch
    3) bump start
    4) having a spare fullly charged battery
    I bought my Bonnie at 4 years old and over 18 months I have probably bump started 10 times.
    I live by a nice hill, but if I didn't it wouldn't be so easy.
    Give me a kickstart as backup, I'll be happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Here are a couple of thoughts to avoid starting problems with an 865 efi Bonny:

1 ALWAYS follow the starting instructions in the handbook, namely:

"To Start the Engine
    • Release the steering lock.
    • Check that the engine stop switch is in the RUN position.
    • Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    • Ensure that the transmission is in neutral.
    • Pull the clutch lever fully into the handlebar.
    • If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position. Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke fully.
    • If the engine is partly warm, pull out the choke to the first position.
    • Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts.
    • Release the clutch lever slowly.
    • During warm-up, gradually push the choke in a little at a time as necessary to prevent the engine from racing or stalling."

2. When the bike is not in use, ALWAYS connect an intelligent battery charger/conditioner, the likes of Optimate 4 for instance.

With these two measures 95% of starting issues can be avoided with this range of Bonnys.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I do all the above biglad religiously apart from 'ALWAYS connecting to my Optimate' it's not always practical with parking the bike outside.
    Basically on pressing the starter button you get the 'click'
    I am looking at getting a solar powered charger which I will connect daily, wether we get enough sun in the UK winter to power it, time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Mick, completely understand about parking outwith an electric socket. Have you considered lifting the battery out of the bike (extra bit of security?) only takes a minute once you're used to it, and take the battery indoors for charging/maintaining charge ??

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

thats what I do

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    It is an option, but I must admit taking the seat off albeit 2 bolts and disconnecting the battery every night, then refitting before work in the morning doesn't massively appeal to me.
    But adding another deterrent to theft does!
    With all this new fangled ECU stuff do you have to do anything special before disconnecting the battery ?
    Also I have an alarm fitted, I presume that would not be affected by taking the battery off and would run from its own power supply ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    My seat has a lock so easier, my last bike had an alarm and the battery went out and in no props.

I presume the alarm was disconnected when battery was out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    1. Nothing special just disconnect negative lead first;

2. You don't say what alarm, but when I had my 2010 T100 with a Triumph alarm I didn't have to do anything to the alarm before disconnecting the bike's battery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Thanks biglad.
    It's a Datatool S4 alarm fitted at a Triumph dealership from new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I've never taken the battery off as it has the optimate charger block connected to it.
    I actually think it may be an el cheapo battery that was fitted when I bought the bike.
    I will definitely put a new one on for next winter.
    The battery may be a major contributing factor to the occasional 'click' problem when starting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You can put alarm into sleep mode by disarm alarm turn ignition on and hold both buttons in til bleep then turn off ignition. It will rearm when you turn on ignition again

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    #17 tappers, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    i have no electricity supply to the outbuilding where my kawasaki gtr1400 and thruxton are kept, they are each wired up to separate solar panel's with an inline solar panel controller/regulator, on both bike's the voltage reading is always above 13 volt's using a volt meter.however the kawasaki alway's turn's over on the 1st attempt, my thruxton although it's always above 12.6 volts will not turn over on every attempt,i repeat the starting procedure & it does eventually turn over and start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pingpong

pingpong New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    carefree AZ 85377
    #18 pingpong, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Yes i have the same problem with my 2013 Thruxton 900 1900 miles and most of the time it wont start, just click click, embarrassing when. Triumph should do a recall for sure to keep the loyal Triumph fans before they jump on a BMW.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. pingpong

pingpong New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    carefree AZ 85377
    No sorry it won't!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. James H

James H New Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Install toggle switch on headlight. Unlike other bikes, headlight remains on during starting which draws too much juice and makes CPU stop starting process. Once I did this, no more click! CPU cannot be adjusted or re-mapped. Issue is caused by design flaw that Triumph doesn't want to admit to.

• Agree Agree x 2