Intermittent Starting 1050r

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Cole, Aug 17, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cole

Cole New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    hi... this is my first post even though i have been a member for over 5 years :blush:...
    i have a beautiful yellow and black 2015 speed triple 1050r same as wasp's i think...her name is rumble bee :grinning:.. every now and then she just will not start.. turn the key lights come on every thing primes up push the button and nothing.. sometimes if you keep button pressed in for a few seconds she will start up.. sometimes you can keep the button pressed for ages and nothing.. usually if i take key out and back in again she will start..i have replaced battery and have taken clutch safety switch out completely but still have the same outcome ..please help... just to say she always starts eventually , thank you for looking...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Abirnie

Abirnie Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds like a loose or bad battery cable connection. Start at the battery, then at the starter and the main ground connections at the engine block. Use some maintenance spray such as Truck-lite on all battery cable connections to minimize corrosion. Replace the starter relay for good measure maybe also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I had similar with my 2014 Speedy soon after I bought it. It went back to dealer to get subframe powder coated which took about three weeks. First ride out I stopped to take some pictures and it would not start. As you say everything lit up and primed but not so much as a click from the button.
    Local dealer collected me and it turned out the starter button cavity in switch block was full of dense spiders web!
    New switch supplied by original dealer and all good.
    I have heard the switch can burn out if heated grips or such are wired in through battery terminals or something?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    All the above is good advice.
    When you check the start button, check and clean the kill switch too.
    Have you checked the voltage on your new battery just in case you have a dud, the ecu is designed to inhibit starting if the voltage is too low which I believe is done to avoid problems with the starter sprag clutch (that was not uncommon on earlier Triumphs).
    You say it starts if you remove the key and replace, so this might point towards a problem with the ignition switch or wiring to it. There have been a few cases of broken wires around the headstock (which are sods to find), check for tight cables and if moving handlebar to a different position has any effect.
    Also my 2015 has factory immobiliser which reads a chip in the key so I'm guessing yours does too (it's a module fixed to the airbox near the seat), try your second key to see if that makes a difference. There's a short cable from the bottom of the ignition switch assembly to the top which I expect feeds a pickup coil at the top, check that is undamaged.

So many things it could be, Have fun! :)
    And don't forget to let us know what it was when you've cracked it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Cole
    Yes you have all the good answers here already. That starter button can corrode and cause problems. And really if you miss the start you should let the button go as holding it in that position can also over heat things and damage the connectors on the switch. Let us know how you get on please.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    If you have disconnected the clutch switch, make sure to clean it but above all, do not leave it disconnected or bypass it as it has other functions beyond a mere safety cutout. I believe it also plays a role in updating the sensor data for the fuel tank etc.
    As others have said - dismantle and clean the starter button and kill switch - very likely to be the source of your problem!

7. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    Mine does exactly the same. I will replace the battery as it is over 5 years old and the bike can labour sometimes when starting. I'll keep trying to find the problem, and if I do I'll pass it on.