Sprint Intermittent Headlight Flicker

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Tim Schultz, Jun 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tim Schultz

Tim Schultz Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Been experiencing a very unusual headlight flicker on my 1996 Sprint, 40K miles. South Dakota, USA.
    Been a great bike and have had it since new, but last year put in new head light bulbs and now a year later at night I am noticing an intermittent flicker that is not a consistent pattern, or due to bumps and jars in the roadways, or engine RPM changes so I am not sure where to begin to trouble shoot the problem. At idle in garage and varying revs the lights are normal, I can't get it to do it on the stand only riding conditions.
    It's a bit annoying but does not stop me from hitting it hard every chance I get.

Looking for advise on a possible path of investigation...I hate electrical.

6-23-18 Cool Nite II.JPG

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would check whilst running the engine & turning the steering to see if that causes any flicker / changes.

Then I would check all the connections in the headlamp circuit including the earths and removing the bulbs and making sure they fit well and the connections are clean & tight.

Have you tried swaping out the bulbs for new to rule out a filament fault ?

Next, check all the connections & wiring in the charging circuit, including all the earth connections

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Tim Schultz

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the tips, I will work through them to eliminate each as I go.
    Like I said I hate electrical. I did replace bulbs last summer but maybe one is faulty.

4. Tim Schultz

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm big F1 fan, never miss a race.
    went to first one at German GP way but in 82
    Then went to Montreal in 98.
    Badge is as close as I am going to come, she has wore it well for 20 years
    Pic is from 2002 when this 2001 schumy was on display at all places the tiny town of Valley Springs, South Dakota, USA. Manley Tires was one of the biggest sellers of Bridgestone the previous year. What a pair.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim Schultz

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Gonna start with the new bulbs maybe one is faulty and work my way to power.
    Hate electrical, rather ride, maybe do it on a rainy weekend or this coming winter. In my 40 plus years of riding I have been to the Sturgis Rally two dozen or so years. Now I go to the Black Hills every year in early to mid July for a great 4-5 day weekend get away of riding my favorite roads, twisty's is pure enjoyment on my old girl and we know the roads like the back of my hand even though I live on the other side of the state, 495 miles away. I truly live to ride and ride to live, rally's are ok for people watching but head down and elbows cocked is where the fun is for me.....die hard I guess. Tetons Pass-11400 feet.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tim Schultz

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I know what you are saying, as you head through town heading up to Mt Rushmore you get to a point where you can turn onto Highway 16A and head south toward Custer State Park. Highway 16A is know as;
    "Iron Mountain Road".
    17 Miles
    314 curves
    14 switchbacks
    3 tunnels
    and if you run it in reverse from Custer you get the view of
    4 Presidents (Mt Rushmore)
    This is my absolute favorite road and during my long weekend trips I will run this road half a dozen times!!!!!!!
    Pic of last tunnel where you see the monument
    IMG_20160711_172055_248.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tim Schultz

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    nice pics.
    Actually headed there next Thursday thru Monday.
    Really looking forward to it>>>>>to much stress at work and need to get away.
    Told the boss this morning.......I'm out.
    I'll post some pics when I get back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1