Interesting Read In Car Infotainment Systems

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Repooh, Aug 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've got an extensive system in my car with all sorts of satnav and entertainment options accessible on a fairly large screen. They definitely are distracting and I noticed my concentration levels dropped with all the glancing and pressing while driving. I can well believe the underestimation of time distracted from watching where you're going.
    Unless there's some legislation that drastically limits the functions available to the driver, the only answer is to recognise your responsibility when driving a ton or more of vehicle along with other road users, including bikes, and pedestrians.
    I'm more conscious of using the system now and wait until it's safer to look away for a couple of seconds. Putting on the next album is not the priority.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    I can believe it and it I think they are dangerous. I took a new citroen for a test drive and all heating controls etc were via a touch screen. There were no manual dials etc, I couldn't believe, it is just so distracting. I didn't buy but went for a car that has all the normal dials and buttons without a touch screen.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    what was wrong with having the controls on the steering wheel as my wife's Renault both hands on the wheel and audio, cruise control and such where all to hand,

• Like Like x 3
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've got controls on the steerign wheel for some things - volume, phone, driving modes etc. - but a lot of controls are on-screen and short of having an F1-style steering wheel, it probably wouldn't be practical. On the positive side for safety, the display goes blank if you're watching a DVD at over 5mph. :D

6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Alpha males do not read instructions, the end! :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Personally i think its down to what seems like everybody's obsession with not missing texts or alerts....if it was just down to talking hand's free or using voice control we may as well impose a no talking clause when carrying passengers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Bloody women! next she'll be asking you to stop & ask for directions when you're lost! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I recall having a very similar discussion with a smoker about 20 years ago who claimed he could reach for a pack, extract a coffin nail, put the pack away, find his lighter, get the disgusting thing going and put the lighter away all without any distraction while he was driving. Everyone else called bull-plops, but he was not having it.

My Ford's infotainment is probably the same unit as DD's and I don't know if I have it set that way somehow but it tells me off if I (or more usually my passenger) makes adjustments when I'm moving. It's not difficult to set your nav before you get going or to stop and re-set if needed so that's what I tend to do.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Alpha males don't get lost - although they may sometimes go on an 'adventure'!

DS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England