Insurance! Oh No, Not Again.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johne, Feb 4, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Yes I know. Haven't we done insurance to death on here?

Well, I have a good story for a change. Its, no big deal I'll admit, but it gave me just a little more faith in insurance companies than I had before.

I changed both my car insurance and the wife's, last month to a different provider from Saga, after being with them (Saga) for a couple of years. I always check via the comparison web sites even if the 'new' quote seems reasonable and this year another company were significantly cheaper on both vehicles so I made the swap.which saved us quite a few quid.

This was a few weeks ago now and the new policies have already started. Yesterday a letter dropped through the letterbox from the new company requesting proof of no claims on my wife's policy. I'm usually pretty efficient when it comes to keeping stuff like this, but my search through the filing cabinet revealed nothing and even my emails bore no fruit. So fearing the worst, I rang Saga and asked if they could supply me with the necessary info on their letter headed paper as requested by the new company. I had been thinking they might invoke the dreaded admin fees, but to my suprise, the guy on the other end of the phone was very helpful and said it was a query they got all the time and after giving him the old policy details he said he would email me the info required in the next half hour or so. Just in case the new supplier also asked for proof of my no claims too, I asked if he would send that also (which he did, the email arrived within minutes). Not only that, but in todays post I also got hard copies of both statements from Saga. All with no charge.

Well they are only doing what they should do in the first place, I hear you say? Perhaps that's true but I was quite chuffed as what I thought might turn out to be a problem was easily resolved for once and so Saga get the thumbs up from me.

• Like Like x 4
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Good to hear something positive! I myself had a nice surprise a few weeks ago when my renewal came in a good bit cheaper than the previous year. But generally they are a bunch of robbers :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice to hear a good news story for once when it comes to insurance companies....

4. Steve T.

Steve T. Active Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Northern British Columbia
    In British Columbia, Canada, we have ONLY the Government run Insurance Company for bikes and cars etc. You MUST purchase the equivalent of third party liability cover from them - I'll leave you to guess what that's like...
    The comprehensive cover - fire, theft, accident is open to the market but I suspect that the other insurance companies offer $1 below the Government rates
    I get 40% off (for no claims, etc,) ....but when I ask 40% off what (some inflated number) I can't get a reply.
    Also, my T120 is rated in the highest Insurance Class - based on 1197cc, however a crotch rocket with 148 hp may be considered two insurance classes lower (I'm still talking basic 3rd Party minimum)
    Example: Royal Enfield Himalayan: 24 Hp & Gixxer 750: 148 Hp are considerd the same???????

Anyway, not sure what I'm trying to say, just needed to vent..... Thanks for the space!

• Like Like x 1
  5. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    I'll resurrect this thread if I may. Very quickly, my VFR800 is up for annual renewal. The quote from the existing company was less than last year. But I noticed the compulsory excess had gone up quite a bit. The Meerkats (other comparison sites are available) gave me a quote about £15 cheaper than that. I usually give the existing company chance to sharpen their pencils as it saves having to dig out proof of no claims etc when changing companies. Sure enough after a phone call pleading poverty, they came out a few quid cheaper than the Meerkat quote. As usual, the moral of the story is don't accept any quote renewals when they land on the doormat, check out the comparison sites and then perhaps (like me) call up your current insurer. The price was a touch over £100 last year. £66 this year.

• Like Like x 4
  6. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Oh, and tell them to stick 'auto renewal' up where the sun doesn't shine. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steve T.

Steve T. Active Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Northern British Columbia
    OK, being as this thread re-opened; here's something to make some of you feel better!

Recently renewed the insurance for my T120 (British Columbia, Canada). I have full "no-claims" etc. and live in the lowest insurance bracket area for BC.
    - Third Party - 7 months - C$596 (GBP345)
    - Comprehensive - 12 months - C$436 (GBP252)

Do I need a "Go Fund Me" page?

• Like Like x 1
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Or a "Lets F**k you" page