Insurance Max Mileage

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sparkyphil, Apr 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sparkyphil

Sparkyphil Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Anyone know if you get charged more money if you go over your agreed yearly mileage?
    Cheers Phil

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    They would only find out if you were involved in an accident I guess..then they probably wouldn't pay out:confused:
    you are probably better over estimating how many miles you will do when taking out a new policy, i don't think it will make much difference in the premium

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    I will have to contact them next week and explain the situation. I suspect they’ll be totally unreasonable about it and either want me shot or cough up some extortionate amount of money or both.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Anyone can see the MOT history of a bike online, including the mileage at the time of the test.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Although I liked your post I slightly disagree :confused:

My old fiat grande punto went up £50 A year declaring 10k miles to 20 k so I would class this as going up quite a bit on a £175 policy. :rolleyes:

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Some will put it up some won’t, I think some charge in increments, ie a certain amount between 1000 and 5000 ,say, and so on. Yes anyone can check your previous years mileage on the govt MOT checker and also they can look at satellite on google maps to see if that garage you have attached to the side of your house really exists

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Can’t see them bothering to investigate that, unless, like above, you have an accident.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I gave an estimated annual mileage when asked. They didn't ask the current mileage on the bike though. And at that time the bike didn't need an mot being under 3 years old. So there's no way they could know my annual mileage.

Let us know how you get on Sparkyphil.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If anyone has the patience or the time:eek::sob:when renewal time comes round they could ask their insurance company what the difference in premium would be for 5k miles going up to 15k in say 2K increments!

10. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have always thought of it as just another get out clause should they not want to pay out for a claim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    In all the years I've had a policy with a mileage limit I've only ever been asked twice for an opening value. Unless they bother to look on MoT records they're not going to know and as Hugh is under two they don't know how many miles I've actually done so far. Cannot believe a new insurance broker is going to check the previous policies against the online records once he does get to MoT age and check to see if I was honest with my estimates before insuring me for the next year.

12. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    If you ring to inform them, which I believe you are obliged to do, then yes it will cost you. I estimated 6,000 a year, but as I was coming up to that after 8 months with most of this spring and summer to go, I changed it to 12,000. Got charged 39 quid for the privileged of amending the insurance, and 50 quid in extra premium for that 4 months.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Thanks for the replies, I will contact them later this week and I will post the outcome. I estimated 6000 miles and I’d done 3500 when I took the policy out, I’ve now done just over 8000 and I’ve got a Scottish trip booked in May approximately another 1600 miles and I’ve got to get through June, I reckon I’ll need another 3/4000 miles

14. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Update as promised
    I rung the insurance company today and upped the mileage on my policy by 3999 miles and they charged me £29.85. I was expecting more to be honest.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Phil

• Like Like x 4