Insurance - £184 To £598

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by John Wellington, Dec 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Wellington

John Wellington New Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Haywards Heath, UK
    I am buying a 2018 T120 black and have comprehensive insurance quotes from £184 (Hastings) to £598 (Triumph). Can anyone think of a good reason not to take the cheapest?

• Like Like x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    NOPE :cool::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Many many threads on here about insurance, good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    All of these insurance companies are arseholes, your experience is based on the minimum wage teenager you'll end up speaking with god forbid you need them.

I try to avoid the off-shore intermediaries as it just adds-in even more frustration.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Some just don’t want your business and some think they’ve seen you coming.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Just go with the flow and get best value. I even think £184 is top end of what I would pay

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi John, and welcome in :cool::cool: they are all as bad as each other so as long as they offer you the same cover as the others then just bite the bullet :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    My Speedmaster is insured with HASTINGS, cheapest by far
    MCE were £100 dearer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    So long as you have cover and you are legally insured - go with cheaper option. Remember though it will go up on renewal. All the best...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    When it comes to renewal times shop around.

Loyalty means nothing to insurance companies, except more profits :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I’m with Hastings., I’ve never need to claim but it looks comprehensive enough should I ever need to.

The other thing I like is that when they send you the renewal, it’s competitive. Unlike many other companies who after the first 12 months come up with a silly price in the hope you won’t notice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    When I claimed on my Hastings policy they were OK, you're never going to be 100% happy but they were fair and reasonably competent at dealing with the claim.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    That’s good to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy :)

Just what others have said....just be legally covered and go with the cheapest. Just ensure the excess is reasonable ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. RobBr

RobBr New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Dereham, Norfolk
    My only word of caution with going with the cheapest is beware of the "online only contact" insurance brokers like GA and quote me happy. You can only speak to somebody on the phone for 28 days after taking out the policy. In my experience their email response isnt good enough, either in speed or in understanding and dealing with the issue. In my case it was informing them of a claim on a different car. The whole thing was very frustrating and I renewed with domebody else.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I’ve had Hastings insurance for 4 years and although luckily not needed to claim they seem efficient, reasonably quick on answering the phone, are polite and have done everything I wanted them to do ... e.g change of bike, address. What you do need to do at each renewal is go on a comparison site and you’ll probably find a better quote from Hastings on there than the renewal they are quoting. Look for the excess costs as again I’ve found much lower excess on the comparison site quote. When you’ve done that ring Hastings up and tell them the comparison site quote and reference and they should match or better it... you could just take the on line quote and not ring up but they may give you a better price. Also when I had two bikes the multi bike cost with Hastings was far more than insuring each individually so I did them separately. Hope get sorted

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Arnie

Arnie Active Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Blackpool
    I'm with Hastings with my Speedmaster, Cheaper than a lot of the others so why not?

20. John Wellington

John Wellington New Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Haywards Heath, UK
    Thanks to everyone who posted comments here. Very helpful. I've decided to go with Hastings. I did phone Triumph and they reduced their online quote massively, which is worth noting. But not enough. Bike is coming on Saturday. Can't wait!

• Like Like x 2