Struggling Info Re Npsi Dryseal Head Plugs?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by StuarT595, Feb 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Two questions, really:

Firstly, I sent my T595 head off for pressure testing...would they have needed to remove the 2 plugs as part of the process?

Second question: I noticed more threads showing on one of the plugs, making me think they’ve been disturbed OR have some kind of seating that’s set at a different height?

SO, anything special I should be doing to make sure these plugs are sealed/torqued/fitted correctly? Clearly they are the gateway between a high-pressure water system and the oil-fed running gear of the head!

What are your thoughts, friends?

A5BF801E-48D1-4CB6-A75F-D2A0A7D244A5.jpeg

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ve never had a cylinder head pressure tested Stuart so I don’t know what’s involved and from the diagram I can’t see what the plugs are for. I’d be asking these questions to the people who did the work, if something has been slightly dislodged as part of the pressure test it could be disastrous if it failed when you’ve got the engine back together. Sorry I can’t offer anything more useful. :worried:

• Like Like x 2
  3. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Are they alignment dowels?

Alfie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    @alfie hi there, thanks for you comment...no they’re not the dowels, they are threaded plugs of sorts.

thanks @Yorkshireman these are the plugs that link the oil chamber with the water jacket in the head...presumably for flushing, though not sure????
    In the photos you can see what I mean by a few more threads showing on one of them, making me think that either one is loose, or they are seated on surfaces of different levels?
    Clearly I need to find out the information before reinstalling the head.

AE044614-3837-4A67-B863-E943C963CCDF.jpeg

2A16DE39-CA60-4441-AA30-4A1F5CADF322.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    So I’m still none the wiser re these plugs...despite endless searches I seem unable to find any reference to these two plugs in the triple head!
    Firstly, am I correct in thinking that beneath these plugs runs the water of the cooling system? Has anyone taken one out before?
    I’m anxious that they may have been removed/reinserted when the head went for pressure testing, possibly incorrectly...I only say this because the threads of the two plugs are showing different heights, and I don’t recall noticing this before?
    If I remove them, any advice on refitting them, they’re apparently special threads which fail to seal if under tightened or over tightened.
    HELP - I don’t want to refit the head until I understand more about these plugs!

6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Try and give a triumph dealer (or head office even) a call?
    You have a couple of pics so if you could send them an email then that would help you enormously!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Would I be right in thinking, in light of the manuals having nothing to say, that these plugs are rarely, if ever, disturbed?
    I am SO hoping there is an engineer or experienced mechanic that has stumbled across these before?