Indy Servicing South East

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Chris jones, Sep 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Morning one and all,

Need a 12,000 mile (shims) service on the Bonnie and the main dealer prices are very strong.
    Was wondering if anyone can recommend someone in this neck of the woods?
    Live near Windsor.

Thanks.

Jonesie

2. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

I'd be interested in any recommendations as well. I do my own servicing but will probably book it in somewhere for just the shims on the 12,000 mile service. I live in Bucks, so same general area, but won't hit 12,000 now until sometime next year.

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Why don't you have a look at the valve clearances yourself :)
    When I worked in a motorcycle workshop a number of years ago I did loads of bikes that were on the first valve service and can't remember one that needed the shims changing :)
    Even bikes on the second valve service might only need 2 or 3 valve shims changing :)
    My point being that you could be paying good money to someone for something that you can check yourself and more than likely won't need any adjustments :)
    Go on....have a go:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I am tempted, especially as I have had some pretty awful experiences with some Ducati workshops a couple of years ago. However, as I've got older I've sort of lost confidence a bit, and with something like this where shimming is required it is a lot easier if you have the equipment and parts.

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Muddy sump but you'll probably have to give a bit of notice. Or try this guy, not sure if he'll come your way tho'' google
    Dhb motorcycle mechanic

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Checking them yourself will cost nothing :)
    If they are in tolerance you've saved money and have the satisfaction of knowing that you're bike is good to go until the next valve clearance check :)
    If in the unlikely event that 1 or 2 need doing you can have a go yourself or put the cover back on and hand it over to someone else and you can tell them what shims need doing :cool:
    Have a look at them mate and if all's well (most likely) you have the satisfaction and have given yourself a confidence boost to tackle other tasks :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    #7 Thruccyboy, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Ive used Muddysump several times...He is great, but yes he does need a bit of notice, but well worth the wait. He did a 12000 mile service on my Tiger 800, at 12000 miles it needs a one-off cam adjustment. Triumph wanted between £650/700 to do the job, Muddysump did the whole service including the cam adjustment + new triumph rear pads for £400....No brainer really. He stamps your service book & gives you a engine read out too...Job done

• Like Like x 2
  8. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Give Clive Wood a call. Not sure where you are re SE but he is in Swineshead Lincolnshire Lots of review's on the internet or just call 07752477738. Clive worked for many years at Jack Lilley running their race team.

9. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    IMG_0810.PNG Had a look over the weekend at the clearances and three are out, one inlet and two exhaust all on the same cylinder hay ho.

It was worth a punt so I will put it in to the dealer and get them done.

HOWEVER when I was picking up a new gasket in the dealership one of the tech guys came out and started chatting.
    I told him I was going to have a look at the clearances and try and save myself the £560 service bill.
    He said whilst I was in there I should replace the o ring on the banjo bolt that holds the oil feed pipe on......
    The original o rings had a habit of starving the head of oil so they have a modded one which costs about £2 and takes nano seconds to fit whilst in there replace the two washers as well.
    Part No's 8 & 10 on the diagram.

So overall it's a bloody easy job to check them but if nothing else it's worth doing it just to replace the o ring.

Jonesie

• Like Like x 1