In Car Dab Scotland

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chuk, Feb 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I’m disappointed after installing a kenwood head unit with dab about the amount of stations I can recieved,I’ve fitted a kinetic mag mount to the roof which has good ratings from dabonwheels website,has anyone in Scotland which has poorer dab reception in general had a aerial fitted whether mag or solid roof mount with good results,after paying £20 for the kinetic which has 5.5 stars out of 6 I’m not wanting to throw more money away unless I know I will get more stations and better reception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Thanks for that I don’t mind paying for another aerial but only if I know it will improve the current set up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Dab seems to be strongest on the national stations, radio 1, 2 etc, other stuff seems to drop out as the car moves about. I usually have radio 2 on but occasionally like other stations like Yorkshire Coast if I’m out that way and Absolute 80’s, 90’s for a change but get annoyed when there’s no signal, bit like going back a few years when you had to manually tune to a different frequency before the radio did it automatically. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wot, no FM, no cassette. :worried:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Pillocking aside it’s not that long ago that I sold a car that had a cassette player, albeit hidden behind a flip up nav screen. (2003 BMW 330ci) ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    First CD player I had in a car was my personal CD player (like a Walkman!) on one of those platforms you sat on the dash with a dummy cassette to play the sound through the radio.
    Cue more old b@stid comments :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    And since we’ve hijacked the thread and taken it way off topic and I’ve had my second whisky I’m off to bed. Hope u get sorted chuk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    DAB, being a digital signal, either works well or or at all. It does not have the obvious decay of an analogue signal.
    You will be wholly/highly dependent on localsignal quality. We get next to nothing in the Borders plus numerous dead spots of the stations we can receive then they flood in as we reach Embra. Neilston is maybe ‘on the edge’ but check here.....
    http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I’ve been in car in paisley etc and further afield but not much if any better,it’s a mag mount dma-1004 fitted 5.5 stars out of six for reception according to dabonwheels where I bought it from,ideally looking for somebody in or around glasgow/Scotland who gets good reception and choice of stations,then see what type of aerial that they have used with good results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Daft question. Hope you don't mind chuk. Do atmospherics affect a dab signal ? Just wondering why my dab signal has suddenly deteriorated.

I changed cars about 2 months ago. Excellent dab signal on my preferred station until about 10 days ago. Now it's very patchy driving the same routes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #11 chuk, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Only fitted it 2 days ago couldn’t say disappointed at choice of stations I can get oh well only about £200 down drain,should’ve spent it on the bike l.o.l

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Interesting read this is, I was thinking about upgrading to DAB but don't think I will bother now.
    Is this really progress? It reminds me of being a young lad listening to Radio Caroline and Luxembourg on my transistor radio in bed with the signal coming and going and whooshing sounds, absolute crap . And as for retuning as I drive, grrrrrrr.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    At the moment you don’t seem to know if you have an installation problem or just live in a DAB dead spot. You need to check what you get in the middle of Glesga to resolve which. DAB is broadcast on VHF so relatively line of sight - it can be screened out by folds in the ground. Plenty of tinterweb sites advising what stations should be available in your postcode....enter it and see!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I know what stations I can get but also know what ones I want and can’t get,install is fine as I get about 10 stations but I wanted the absolute 80s 90s and some rock stations,the aerial I’ve fitted seems very short but I’m no expert will post pics later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    According to the website using Neilston Primary School postcode they should be available........

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Those were the days ......

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Don’t get him started or he’ll whip his 8 Track out....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    Even though the choice of stations on DAB isn't as great as down south, surely it's better choice than the mince on FM?
    We've got DAB in our car, and I'm finding I listen to the radio far more than I did on FM, purely because I can get what I want to listen to, rather than the typical local and nation stations only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ditto. I am thinking Chuk needs to collar a neighbour with new wheels and compare their OEM reception with his aftermarket results. Our wee Ford gets loads within 15 miles of Auld Reekie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    See you and raise you....

upload_2019-2-12_10-40-59.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1