Featured Improvised Repairs

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ron Ashurst, Apr 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst Drain Bamaged
    Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    So yesterday I went to leave work and saw that my shift linkage was a bit out of alignment. I went to tweak it and as soon as I put the wrench on it it broke in half. Obviously from when I dropped it on it's side. The guy beside me say I'll take you home so you can get your trailer. I said fuck you, i'm going to ride it one way or another. So 2 cable ties and about 10' of kit string later. I rode home. I even improvised a repair to the broken part after a run to the salvage yard until I track down a replacement.

But it got me to thinking. Who else has come up with some improvised repairs to get your ride home? I am sure with this lot there has to be some good stories out there. ;)

Linkage Stud.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Senior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    For entertainment value you should try a Sporster with a broken throttle cable.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again
    Subscriber

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Years ago my CB750 Four throttle cable broke and as it is a push pull throttle i took the tank off and used the return cable , just had to twist the grip the opposite way which was a bit weird.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Years ago I had every light fail on a Lotus 7 replica kit car. Headlights, tail lights & even the instrument lights!
    It was pitch black & we were on a narrow/twisty country road.
    I got the Mrs to use the torch function on her phone & wave it back & forth at any vehicles coming the other way.
    She was not happy & said she'd rather walk home & leave me to it.
    When I protested, she said...."If it kills you it'll be your own fault for not assembling it correctly!"...

:confused: o_O :confused: :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Senior Member

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Driving home with broken ring gear in the diff is loud and embarrassing, but cheaper than recovery.
    Youth on the cheap meant many workarounds to get home. Good thread Ron

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Common lash up for a busted tail light was to adjust the brake light switch so the brake light was always on. Can't get away with that now as it seems to be a pressure switch in the brake line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Busted a driveshaft in a Jeep once, took the remnants out and drive the 40 miles home in 4 hi range as a front wheel drive. Can’t do that on these fancy new suvs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange The Lunatics have definitely taken over !!!!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    On the way to a Bike show, the gearbox on my Land Rover Discovery 2 went - in Edinburgh !!! Managed to crunch through the box to find that only 4th gear was working. Never stripped a Disco box, but maybe 4th was straight thru ??? Limped it to the show and then had to get the old girl home, to do repairs.

Nearly 100 miles home with only 4 th gear. Just kept her rolling at every junction and roundabout, which some were taken at speed, thought I was going to tip it over on a particularly tight one !!!:p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    Drive home in the rain from a tour to Czech, with 18 bikes at the tail: an oil slick in a right-hand bend. Not funny, small damage only.

[​IMG]

A few kilometres later behind me they honked and flashed - my licence plate holder had given up. Cable tie (from the last Fifty shades of grey cinema visit) helps with everything. At least in the back guys had fun…

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  10. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Active Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Hi, does a repair that took 20 hours count in this thread?
    Here goes anyway.
    It would be in the late 1960s on a Velo MAC 350, Sunday afternoon towards Sheffield from the Peak District with wife on the pillion. Slowing down into a village, funny clattering noise, whats fallen off now?, just as I stopped so did the engine.
    Can't kick it over? must be primary chain, tools out chaincase opened up, chain OK but crank wont turn, maybe dropped a valve? Tank off, head off, all looks OK?, barrel off a'ha front skirt of the piston broken off and jammed against the crankcase mouth, nothing to be done so book into handy YHA hostel.
    Monday morning, Yellow Pages for Sheffield M/cycle dealers, Have you got a plus 20 thou Velo MAC piston? Second dealer "no but I can have one here in an hour". YHA warden took me to the dealers and a bus back. Rebuild and away by midday and to Aunt in Boston Linc's for Monday night.
    I don't think I would try that on the Trophy.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. brown mouse

brown mouse Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    My only real improvised repair was half way through a 300 mile (10 hour!) journey to visit a friend on a CZ125. Things seemed to be getting louder and was losing some of what little power there was. I worked out that it was due to fair sized gap around where the exhaust pipe went into the silencer. Couldn't fathom at the time how the gap had appeared but I fixed it by cutting strips off a coke can to build up a shim which I held in place with a jubilee clip bought from a garage. :)

Latter, I worked out the the original seal was a rubber o-ring which I'd melted running the engine full throttle for hours. I replaced it with a new correct part bought from a dealers but, needless to say, that didn't last particularly long either, so I wend back to coke can shims. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MTBskier

MTBskier Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    Welp, was riding my Speed Twin home last night, exited the freeway to get gas and missed the downshift. Thought to myself “hmm that was weird,” tried to down shift again, same thing, now I’m confused “wtf!?” Finally got it down into 3rd, make the turn, tried to upshift and nothing. Look down and shift lever is hanging limp. Now it’s a major WTF moment. Pull into the station and see the linkage hanging straight down. Using a pair of shitty pliers that I had to buy at the station was able to luckily get it threaded back in just enough to get home. Bike only had around 480 miles on it when this happened...not happy!
    On a happy note, broke the 500 mile mark riding home after this, so when I take it to the dealer for initial service, and now repair, it’s X-pipe time!!

269C27FF-0764-4568-BA67-8299B67E5BAB.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    One evening going along a dual carriageway on the way to girlfriends (now wife)house on my 650 Triton I went to change down a couple of gears to negotiate a roundabout.
    No gear lever, it had fallen off so it was hard on the crappy brakes.
    God only knows how I got round that roundabout.
    At her house I borrowed a small pair of mole grips to put the bike in 2nd gear to get home at a sedate pace.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Excellent; how many could get the barrels off for a piston inspection at the side of the road now?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Once did the Breckland enduro on a borrowed Kawasaki KDX 200.
    Only a few hours in and no gears coming out of a left hander. Pulled up and the footpeg is held only with two Allen key bolts. The front bolt had disappeared so my foot wasn't long enough to reach the gear lever. Quickly whipped off the peg to avoid losing it.
    Now needing to make up time was balls out with left foot behind my arse and flat out.
    The terrain is quite sandy and without being able to load the pegs to unload the front, tank slappers were normal :yum
    Got to the next check with time to spare. A quick cut of the farmers wire pig net fence plus the peg secured with the remaining bolt all good to finish the event some 4 hours later :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Back in the ‘mid 60s again,a friend had an Ariel Arrow and the nipple pull out of the throttle cable at the twist grip. He removed the outer cable and some how tied a piece of string to the inner cable some how.
    He rode the bike round like that for a couple of weeks pulling on the String :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Active Member

Apr 29, 2014
    When the throttle cable breaks at the twist grip end (because of the constant bending back and forward) It happened often years ago! Pull off the outer and loop the inner over the top frame tube and tie it around your right knee, Knee out = accelerate, don't forget to untie before getting off or you could loose a leg!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Active Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I have just remembered another roadside repair on a T110, on the way to the Antler Rally on the Ardnamurchan in the 70's.
    Riding up the A74 when a steering wobble developed and was traced to a rear wheel bearing collapse. As luck would have it the wheel had three bearings, one each side of the wheel and another in the brake drum/sprocket and the collapsed one was the right hand wheel one. I swapped the good bearing in the wheel for the collapsed one, in the layby on the opposite carriage way was an artic with some nice clean grease around the fifth wheel so a stolen finger full for the cleaned bearing and rebuilt the back end and carried on to the rally changing both wheel bearings a couple of weeks later.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Medication time nutters......
    Subscriber

Jan 13, 2019
    Forum Asylum Nursing Office
    MacGyver would be proud

• Like Like x 1
  20. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Chipping Sodbury
    Well not really a repair but...
    On Friday, started the bike up at work and thought, that SP can sounds really loud today. Oh well. On the trip home i start thinking it is very very loud, i better check it when i get home. Anyway little bit of road works, filter up behind the front car as i get behind him the lights change so i stay behind him. Get through the road works, thinking this Jag is toast overrtake him. I can then feel this fluttering tap against the bottom of my right heel. WTF, there is nowhere to safely stop on this narrow B road so i carry on. Trying to look down cant see anything because of my leg. The only thing i can think of is the exhaust is a bit loose. So i carry on, next i feel a scrape on the road, i think feck the whole thing is completely disconnected, no tools, 5 miles from home, if it really digs in to the tarmac i could be in trouble. So whats the "repair aspect" you ask after all this woffle... well the only thing i could think of was push down on the end of the can with my foot so it pivots the front up so it wont dig in. Rode the rest of the way home with a foot that got pretty hot!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1