Speedmaster Improving Front Brake Performance?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Prince of Wheels, Jul 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Prince of Wheels

Prince of Wheels New Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Tadworth, Surrey
    Hi all,

It's come to my realisation that the OEM brake pads on my 2018 Speedmaster don't actually make use of 100% of the braking surface of the disc. I'd estimate about 10% is untouched.
    Surely I can fit wider pads and make use of that estimated 10% extra surface for extra bite?

Has anyone else tried this?
    Any advice greatly appreciated, especially concerning larger pad type/size/code/part number etc.

Thanks,
    Iain

speedmaster2018frontbrake.jpg

2. Prince of Wheels

Prince of Wheels New Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Tadworth, Surrey
    I did some basic maths and reckon the unused width of the disc is 17% of the total usable width.

3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Don't forget brakes are not just about surface area. If the area goes up then surely the clamping force goes down for a fixed pressure; is your hydraulic system adequate to provide greater leverage than currently used for the stock pads?
    Lots of factors come into this one like master cylinder bore size and mechanical advantage of the pivot point etc.

If I was you I'd look at alternative pad materials in the stock pad size and shape, then decide what fits your criteria and purchase accordingly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    With twin front discs I find them more than adequate.
    I do agree with Eldon on looking at pad material (sinted organic or ceramic) and I have upgraded the rear to Brembo 4pot calipers.

DB37BAB1-7500-4BF0-A4D7-73ADB0FDB5DE.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1