I'm Back On The Injured Reserve List Again

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sandi T, Mar 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1 Sandi T, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    After being off my motorcycles for seven months in 2020 and then being able to ride again for seven months, I'm back on the injured reserve list again. :( A week ago today I had a second elbow surgery stemming from my bicycle crash in January of 2020. As many forum members admonished me back then, "pedal bikes are the tool of the devil". ;):sob: Fortunately this surgery wasn't to repair a smashed elbow but to remove the plate and screws that have been in there for over a year. This is the hardware I've been toting around. I'm thinking about making the blue plate into a bracelet. :) And my motorcycles are getting a "break" again.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 11.40.55 AM.png

IMG_7332.JPG

My surgeon also made the decision to do an ulnar nerve transposition to move my ulnar nerve to a place where it's not being squished (yes, a technical medical term). Things just have not been healing right in that department. I am hopeful that this second time around my healing will be both quick and complete.

Fortunately this time I didn't also have a broken pelvis which has certainly made the whole surgery prep (and recovery) process easier. Unfortunately I forgot that Mr. Sandi would not be allowed into the surgery center and was required to drop me off and pick me up on the doorstep because of Covid. I know both my surgeon and anesthesiologist, though, so that was comforting.

IMG_3272.jpeg

Round # 2....déjà vu

IMG_3292.jpeg

My surgeon said it was ok to have one drink the evening of my surgery even with having taken some pain meds that day. Thank goodness as I consider alcohol itself a pain med. ;) And my anesthesiologist actually recommended a nip of Red Breast...but instructed Mr. Sandi to cut me off at two. :joy: (For the record, I only had one.)

IMG_3296.jpeg

And I'm back on the apple fritters like I was after my crash. Mr. Sandi went to Amy's Donuts and stocked up. He may have gone a bit overboard, though, because he came home with two dozen! :p I'm trying to ration them out this time around. :yum These pastries are definitely good "medicine". :grinning:

IMG_3302.jpeg

CAUTION! Avert your eyes for this next photo if you get queasy easily. It made me queasy...and it's my arm. :rolleyes:

My surgeon instructed me to remove the copious wrappings two days after surgery, leaving on the bandages that covered my incision. The best thing about getting that stuff off my arm was being able to take a shower! As gross as it looks, it certainly looks far better than a year ago after my first surgery.

IMG_3316.jpeg

I had my first pre-op follow-up on Friday and everything looks good and as it should. I have another appointment with my surgeon tomorrow morning to have the sutures removed. I'll ask him all the questions I've been a bit hesitant to ask him including the most important one: WHEN CAN I START RIDING MY MOTORCYCLES AGAIN??? Not that I'm impatient. :joy::joy::joy: When I am able to start riding again, my forum buddies will be among the first to know. :kissing_heart:

IMG_3302.jpeg

• Like Like x 22
    • Love You Love You x 2
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Well I reckon getting that lot out is going to help tremendously in the long run and as you say should be re-used again in some artistic way, I reckon just to remind you of your misfortune and your healing ability, it can add to the story telling opportunities you'll have once your allowed friends round and can have more than two or four drinks :cool:
    PS
    That picture wasn't to bad, but to be honest I'm glad you shaved them armpits :D:D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Good luck with the healing, Sandi. The weight saving from getting rid of all that metalwork should give you better acceleration and another 10mph. The apple fritters, however....

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, TEZ. Yes, the plate bracelet would be a good visual for story telling opportunities. And over more than two...or four....drinks! :joy::joy::joy:

Yep, with this 2nd surgery being scheduled in advance and not dealing with a broken pelvis on top of a broken elbow like last time, I was able to get some things squared away before being one-armed again. Like shaving my legs and armpits, clipping my finger and toenails, giving my hair an extra good washing, and laying in a hefty supply of fritters. All that important stuff. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Excellent point on the weight savings, Dave! Yet again it goes to show that there's always a silver lining in there somewhere. :) But, yes, those fritters :eek:. At least time time around I can go outdoors and walk them off. And so far I've not had one every single morning like I did a year ago. Back then, the fritter (well, and my evening cocktail) was truly the highlight of my day. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Here's hoping for a quick recovery,thats a good idea to make something out of the plate,is it titanium? what about a bottle opener or something for the bike like a brake lever or a kick stand? I'm sure someone with a bit of imagination and the skills could turn it into something original

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    At least you are mobile this time Sandi not stuck in a wheelchair! Hope recovery is not too painful and not too long either :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Here's to a speedy recovery Sandi! :cool:
    Hopefully not too painful and I like the idea of making something out of your "hardware" :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    GL with the recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Take the plate and fix it to that bloody pushbike in a way that wont allow the pedals to turn... that'll serve a good reminder to stick to motorbikes :)
    Hopefully you be back out turning petrol into noise and fun again soon :heart:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Chin up lass, it's for a greater good. Keep banging through those apple fritters. Get well soon :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Hope your recovery goes quickly Sandi and you get to go for a ride soon ...just stay away from the human powered two-wheelers.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the recovery well wishes, Dougie! Hmmm, those are some creative ideas for the plate. The bottle opener idea might be the most useful over time (and bottles of beer). ;) But I'm not so sure the plate would be hefty enough to be a kick stand even for a bicycle! How big do you think my elbow is, anyway?! :p I asked Mr. Sandi that same question because when he saw the plate he said he thought it would be much bigger. :joy::joy::joy: Another friend who saw the plate said he thought it would be much smaller. :rolleyes: For scale, here it is compared to my hand. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that it's titanium.

IMG_3403.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That may be the best suggestion yet for that plate's future, andy! :joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Ha Ha it is a bit smaller than I thought ! You could maybe cut it down a bit and make it a zip pull for a bike jacket!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Wow, Sandi, glad you are on the road to recovery, this time for good. You know how gardeners study seed catalogues over winter in anticipation of spring? Maybe you could ogle bike mags, accessories catalogues, and route maps during your "winter."

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Martine! I shall definitely ogle bike mags and go through route maps while I'm recuperating! Especially route maps of our planned MC trip at the end of June up through northern AZ, NM, CO, and the southern corner of UT. That trip is a definite "carrot" for me to anticipate through the healing process. My surgeon assures me I'll be fit and ready to ride well before then. I'm confident he's right but still a bit nervous after this past year going how it did.

I'm not sure I'd find anything more in those accessories catalogues, though. I've pretty much done everything to my bikes that I've wanted to do. But pouring over parts & accessories catalogs is exactly what I did through my first layoff. I bought a bike in May that I was unable to ride until September (a H-D Street Glide Special) but in the meantime it was great fun deciding on all my mods which I had done before I ever rode the bike one mile! :):joy: It was kind of like the old Sears "Wish Book" that always came out before Christmas if you remember that. :grinning:

The other way I stayed connected to bikes and riding last time--and will again this time--was to spend time on this forum ogling members' motorcycles and reading their ride reports and bantering with forum friends about bikes and other topics. :cool: So please, post away, Martine! :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @steve lovatt
    Now I'm eagerly awaiting your awesome bike reviews more than ever, Steve, so I can do a bit of vicarious riding through your words! :):heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    Hi Sandi, here's to your Speedy recovery. I can't believe that in all the good wishes and comments above no-one has remarked on your fantastic coffee cup, "I am a ray of fucking sunshine" indeed :joy: I have to get me one of those. Good luck, you'll be back on a bike before you know it...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Impressive hardware! I wish you the best recovery possible !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1