Scrambler Ignition Woes!

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by mpllineman, Sep 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Hello all, I'm still trying to get my 06 Carb Scrambler to hit on both cylinders. The bike still cranks like a new one, stays on my batt tender and reads 12.7 volts sitting still.

I have replaced the coil, just the right side as it is the problem. I have swapped sides to no avail.

I am at a loss which way to go from here. Could the ignighter be bad? Should the batt voltage be higher. It is the one that came with the bike and has almost always been on the tender. Could a bad batt be the cause of this problem?

I really do hate to give up and rent a trailer and make that sad trip to the local dealer! Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I just checked voltage with bike off and Ignition on and reading dropped from 12.7 to 12.2 Could it be as simple as time for a new battery?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I don.t have a clue as to the age of the battery, It came with the bike which I bought 3 yrs ago. I believe I'll go and replace it. All I can see is that it doesn't appear to be original, but I'm going to fix that. Wish me luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    One brand new AGM battery and all is right with the world again! I had no idea that a barely below limit battery could cause this. Chalk up another lesson learned. Thanks Dozers Dad for the assist, that's why I love it here so much.

P.S. I work part time for a large auto supply company on the weekends and the only perk I get is a substantial discount on all my parts! As good as a raise in my book!

• Like Like x 4
  5. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Well, My scrambler is still running poorly. I still have a single cylinder bike. I have eliminated the plugs, plug wires, coils, and have a brand new battery. I'm not sure where this leads me. I have been trying to be logical about this, even though I am frustrated/mad!

My triumph manual breaks the ignition down into 4 parts. 1 of which is a sensor that cannot be tested, only replaced along with both carbs. This is an 06 model and I will not spend that kind of money here!

Im left with a ignition pickup sensor, looks doable, or an igniter. There are tests that can be done but With my limited skills with a multimeter, I'm not very confident about this. I can't even find a diagram of the pin numbers/locations.

any suggestions, other than just give up?

6. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Giving up is not an option! You assume I presume that it's an electrical issue but I doubt it would have been the battery, given one side runs fine and the other doesn't. More likely to be a coil but you've changed that. If it's not a break in the wiring somewhere or a dodgy connection, try using a multimeter, starting at the battery, to determine where the loss of feed is. Are you sure it's not a fuelling problem? Is the right hand side spark plug getting wet? Are you getting a good spark on that side?

Sorry, not solutions, but loads of questions and I'm afraid it's test or guess!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Drop your float bowls and check for red sludge. You may have a blocked pilot jet on one side that governs off idle to about 2k rpm when the main starts to take over. It can be difficult determining whether the problem is fuel or ignition when one side is playing up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I am currently on hold waiting on part arrival. The crankshaft position sensor will be replaced soon. And, no sir, I'm not getting any spark to the #2 cylinder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If you definitely have no spark then, ignition on, check for battery voltage on the +ve terminal of the ignition coils (multimeter grounded to earth).

If there is no voltage on your faulty side the probability is that you have a faulty igniter. If there IS voltage it could be igniter or pick up coil but again, on the balance of probabilities the igniter because the pick up triggers the other side ok.

This https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/fire-starter-performance-igniter-unit.php is about the cheapest replacement and they can only really be tested by substitution.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Good luck, hope it works for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mpllineman.
    It has to be an igniter or pulse coil surely if no spark atall. I do assume you are making sure you ground the plug every time you test as leaving them ungrounded can cause havoc. Have you made sure each coil has a great earth no corrosion as well as the spade connectors to the coils. But don't give up you will sort it soon.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Thanks for the good advice! I saw when you were helping Pike just the other day with his similar problem. If this is my next step, I will go here for an igniter. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mpllineman

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    What Next? I'm still waiting on my igniter to arrive in the mail. It is lost in the good old postal system. this is a first for me. I guess by the time I get this sorted, I'll have missed the whole season of riding. This whole thing is frustrating, but I'm still on hold. Updates to come, whenever!

• Like Like x 2
  14. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    coil, crank sensor, spark plugs, loose wires at terminal ends. especially if your messing around in there.
    if you bike started when you dropped in a new battery, then i would be looking at the coil and igniter side of things, whats the ohm's on your coils?

• Like Like x 1