Ignition Wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by GSBoyett, Dec 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GSBoyett

GSBoyett New Member

Dec 10, 2020
    Texas
    Newbie.

I just purchase a 1999 Thunderbird 900 sport and I am replacing the headlamp with a led headlight with blinkers built in. I have searched forms extensively for this issue. My bike came with no blinkers or gauges currently installed and the original wiring has been modified.

The harness from the ignition switch had the white wire with green stripe, brown, and red wires connected to three separate red wires that have power when the ignition is switch on.

I installed a relay for the led blinkers . Relay wires are black (Gnd), orange, and per the wiring schematic, the white wire with green stripe (w/g) that I cut from the red wire that allows the engine to start.

With this setup the blinkers work but the engine not firing. Only fires with w/g wire connected to red.

If I connect the w/g wire to the red and connect both to the relay, no blinkers but starts.

I assume the red wire that was connected to the w/g wire was suppling power to the ign switch. Is there another wire from the ignition switch that can supply power to the blinker relay? or receive power from the red?

thanks,

Shawn

2. GSBoyett

GSBoyett New Member

Dec 10, 2020
    Texas
    Can anybody tell me the which color wire is used for which function?

Ignition Harness 1999 Thunderbird Sport?

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I’ve looked and failed to find a wiring diagram. Is the 790/865 Bonneville colour coding in any way similar?

4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GSBoyett

GSBoyett New Member

Dec 10, 2020
    Texas
    Thanks for the diagrams. Helps but most of bike has been rewired before me.

Can the wire from the ignition coil to the start switch be a constant hot?

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Directly routed, no.

The +ve low tension feed energises the coil. The igniter/ecu or points have to cut that power at the appropriate moment

to collapse the magnetic field in the coil that then

induces the high voltage current that is

despatched to jump the gap in the plug and ignites the fuel/air mix.

I am pretty sure there is a red wire FROM the igniter TO the coil that does just that. There was on my slightly later vintage Bonneville.