Idle Thoughts On Upgrades - Scrambler 1200xe

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by RebelHawk, Mar 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    As I mentioned in my introduction post last week I'm sitting at home recuperating from foot surgery and am unable to ride my new Scrambler 1200 XE. This has sent me to YouTube and these forums looking at options to tweak the bike a bit. I'm refraining as much as possible because I would like to ride the bike before I start hacking it up but I couldn't resist the Triumph pannier which I ordered and installed yesterday. Some of the other largely cosmetic items are things I might still do (bar end mirrors, fly screen) without concern of getting something that I might not need/enjoy.

Looking through the forums I'm not seeing much discussion on the blue tooth tire pressure monitoring system? Anyone installed these and have any feedback?

2. Kevlar

Kevlar New Member

Apr 21, 2019
    Victoria BC
    Sorry, I can't comment on the tire pressure monitor. I have added the TEC side mirrors and can tell you I love them. I found the stock mirrors looked a little goofy and were difficult to adjust to a position that was appropriate. I was always fiddling with them. I put the side mirrors on and after an initial adjustment haven't had to touch them. They look great too. I did the small fly screen as well. It covers the back of the instrument panel and is largely cosmetic. Functionally it smooths out the wind a little but offers no real protection.

I'm curious how you like the pannier? I was considering getting it but I'm concerned it sticks out too far

3. RebelHawk

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    Thanks for the feedback on those TEC side mirrors and screen. I want to ride my bike before I start changing too much but I'm sure I'll do both of those. I still have another 3 weeks before I can get my XE out on the road and test it out. I haven't done more than sit on and polish it a few times as I count down the hours until I can take it out for the first time.

But to address your question, the pannier install was super simple and the volume looks to be more than sufficient for short grocery runs or even an overnight trip. Well made and sitting on the bike doesn't look intrusive but I just don't have that real world time on the bike to get an authoritative response, but I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevlar

Kevlar New Member

Apr 21, 2019
    Victoria BC
    It makes sense to ride for a while first. I did the fly screen after owning it for about 4 months and the mirrors after 8. I'm considering the tail tidy now and taking out the catalytic converter. It's hot in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    I discussed with the sales person about spending £200 on the tyre pressure monitor when I bought a Street Twin. His opinion, don’t waste your money, you’ll get obsessed about tyre pressures and be constantly checking they’re right.
    Took his advise.
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I’ve fitted the tec bar end mirrors, they look better and work better than the triumph bar end mirrors on my street triple RS, I’ve also fitted a tec tail tidy which makes the bike look loads better, my bike came with loads of triumph extras they came as part of a the deal so if tell me what bits you fancy for your bike I may be able to help, there’s also a dedicated scrambler section on this forum we’re you will probably get more dead back.

7. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Aylesbury
    Hi Rebel,
    I had the fly screen fitted to protect the clock and wiring. Also fitted a fender extender and head light grill.
    Got free Arrow cans separate with bike, will be fitting shortly together with Booster plug.
    Mark

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Aylesbury
    Shaun, Kevlar,
    Do you have a pic of TEC side mirrors fitted on the bike?
    Mark

9. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I’ll go take some, any other pics of bike while I am at it?.

10. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    pics of tec mirrors and tail tidy as I remember you asking something about the tail tidy.

CD461029-A7CF-423D-8F49-13DC2D1C1908.jpeg

B7A0A298-80D3-40CF-89CC-A1838696F2E8.jpeg

ECD2041B-042F-4C7E-A13F-1F44CC1C3990.jpeg

C932D703-050C-4AE8-99A4-EDEFC8D17ACF.jpeg

618C5870-5B66-47B8-BA97-FC15FA5EB791.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Aylesbury
    Go the distance and take a 360 ....... I never get bored looking at an XE . I Got the clutch and AC black covers fitted to mine ....... small mod but really sets the engine off ,,,,,, I know .....sad bloke alert

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Aylesbury
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RebelHawk

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    Shaun, are those tail lights the multifunction break/turn lights? I am starting to notice that on all the UK bikes no one has the multifunction lights that includes the blank for the rear break light. Is this not an option over there and maybe a US only option?

4493683B-0AFF-4E36-8F14-32BC8ADBE609_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Mine are separate light and indicators, I’ve seen your type on bikes ,I think they must be USA only.

15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    From what I remember they are illegal over here RH :cool::cool: