Idle And High Rpm Charging / Voltage Regulator / Thunderbird Storm

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Senthil, Aug 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Senthil

Senthil New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Hello:

The Voltage regulator output on my 2014 Triumph Thunderbird Storm is about 12.4 to 12.5 Volts on idle and 14.1 on RPM > 2. This is resulting in a battery discharge if I am on idle for extended period. Can someone tell me what their idle and cruise voltages are?
    • All off - 12.5 to 12.8 Volts (depending on battery charge). It was 12.8 on this observation.
    • Ignition switch on - 12.3
    • Kill switch on - 12.0 to 12.1
    • Start - momentarily down to 10.x sometimes lower depending on compression cycle and length of start. Occasionally down to 7.8 volts.
    • Idle - 12.3 / 12.4
    • Rev - 13.x
    • RPM > 2 - 14.1 (I noticed it takes a few minutes of riding before it reaches max of 14.1)
    While idle and when the voltage is registering 12.4 V the battery is discharging, considering the battery was at 12.6 V or higher when off. In fact I am not sure what the actual voltage is, that is coming out of the regulator when discharging, as the 12.4 is now where the "battery + regulator + load" combined stands. So when at a stop light for 3 minutes and the battery is discharging for 3 minutes - not good.

And I could not find ANY voltage regulator (OEM or after market) providing specs of what the idle voltage should be.

Here is what I need if someone can help:

Please do the same measurements with your Triumph Thunderbird Storm and post it back so I can compare notes. And let me know whether you have an OEM voltage regulator or something else. Any help is much appreciated. It will help me decide if I could replace my voltage regulator with something that is able to charge on idle. Or perhaps this is just the way it is as other forum posts have indicated that Triumphs need a really good battery.

Thanks

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would suggest that you remove & clean all the engine to chassis to battery -ve connections and the Battery +ve connections.

Any or all of these connections can cause the issues that you describe.

3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Yes sounds like normal behavior to me, why do you say its discharging when the voltage is 12.4? if it was registering under 12v i would agree but that quite normal, don't forget that at idle the only load is the ignition and injectors, so if it was lower than that i would say it was but as you say it rises to 14v during higher revs that would be normal...i think your over thinking it fella.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Does it start every time you want to use it? If so no problem:)

5. Senthil

Senthil New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    It's likely discharging (only way to absolutely prove is to connect an amp meter to see direction of current flow) because the voltage falls to below "All systems off" voltage. During idle the headlamps are also on (which is a large load), and also if you are idle for a while the fans come on too and I noticed the voltage drop some more! I wish I was overthinking this!

6. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Sorry still sounds perfectly normal, if there is more load from lights and fans as well then the charging circuit is keeping up with battery drain and maintaining the optimum voltage all be it without positive charging at idle rpm, and then rises once again when engine rpm rises, are you not noticing the slight change in rpm if fans come on? there will be a momentary drop in voltage and then it will rise again, if the charging circuit did try and provide more charge at idle rpm the motor would likely stall due to the load on the alternator, the charging circuit should automatically vary the charge rate with the load demand while not allowing the motor to stall at low rpm, that's why your seeing this behavior, its exactly the same as a car charging circuit behavior.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Senthil

Senthil New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    It does not help to provide a non-answer. You don't have to be able to answer everything and please don't feel bad if you are unable to. It's ok, no one will judge. I will just wait for someone else to answer. And do me a favor and stop answering this or any other questions I pose. Thank you.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Senthil

Senthil New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Sorry for making you call me hissy fit. Never my intention to turn you into calling names. Sorry that I have that much power over you! Seems like I offended you, and I am so sorry for bringing out the worst in you. My apologies. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to ease your pain.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Senthil

Senthil New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    From what you are saying:
    • The "charging circuit" (is that the same as voltage regulator?) varies output based on electrical load.
    • As well as the electrical load influences the motor to increase RPM.
    Is that a correct understanding? Can you point me to more literature on this behavior? This is new information to me, thanks for answering.

10. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Will see if i can find something to describe what i mean, but its the std way of controlling the charging with car systems, i see no reason an injected bike motor should be any different.

Basically the charging circuit consists of the alternator and regulator/rectifier and battery along with all the peripherals like lights ignition etc etc, the regulator/rectifier can sense the load of all these things on the battery circuit and will adjust the supplied voltage/amperage according to the battery state of charge to keep it charged even under high electrical load, and if the vehicle has electric fans these draw high load on start up, so this results in higher mechanical resistance
    in the alternator due to increased magnetic force, so the engine idle system controlled by the engine ECU allows/varies extra air and fuel to control engine speed during high electrical demand, now this is not such a problem at high rpms, but at idle this needs to be compensated for, which i why i said that you may notice the engine note change at idle when the cooling fan starts or you switch on the lights, and may also notice the change in voltage.

• Agree Agree x 1